Favourite music gear (other than your BR)

Started by Flash Harry, August 21, 2009, 09:59:04 AM

launched

Quote from: oldrottenhead on September 05, 2009, 09:54:09 AMcan you send samples to the kaosillator or does it only use sounds onboard

I thought there was a hack for input, but I was mistaken:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2008/03/15/taking-apart-a-korg-kaossilator/

Wayne Coyne made a guitar synth with it, though:

http://hackaday.com/tag/kaossilator/
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Bluesberry

The SH-201 has an aux input that had dedicated filter and modulation effects.  I plug the kaoss into the SH-201 and play the kaos but can manipulate the raw kaoss sounds with the SH201 to get a bigger range of sound out of the kaos.  And I can play the both at the same time, right hand on SH-201 and play a kaos solo with one finger from the left hand (because the kaoss is pretty easy to play), kinda fun and addictive.  It gives a huge synth sound this way, like I am freaking Rick Wakeman or something (good enough to fool the wife anyway).  I think I need to go out and get some capes now!!!!

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Davo

Bluesberry I love synth sounds, and can kinda make a few on my old Casio SK-1...can you recommend a good cheap synth?  Or should I go the software route?
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Bluesberry

Davo, I am just getting into it myself, and after much research I settled on the Roland SH-201 which costs around $700 canadian.  There are cheaper ones but they seem like toys, the microKorgs and alesis micro look good for about $500 but they are very cumbersome to program.  For a beginner synth player like myself the SH-201 is the best, no menus, old school controls all on the front, I am learning about creating my own sounds and it is pretty easy.  And it sounds like a real synth.  I didn't even look into software, there are some good ones out there, but I wanted a real keyboard, I hate being glued to a computer.  I am pretty happy with the SH-201.  Also check out Yamaha, they have some nice stuff around $400-500.  I am having a blast with mine for sure.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

OsCKilO

BB...........

That synth is as Ugly as Sin........

But it sounds so bloody good!

F*cking Good in fact!

But I think it is all about how you play it!

You play it Like a Guitarist!

Cool as Bro!!!!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Davo

Quote from: Bluesberry on September 05, 2009, 05:55:05 PMDavo, I am just getting into it myself, and after much research I settled on the Roland SH-201 which costs around $700 canadian.  There are cheaper ones but they seem like toys, the microKorgs and alesis micro look good for about $500 but they are very cumbersome to program.  For a beginner synth player like myself the SH-201 is the best, no menus, old school controls all on the front, I am learning about creating my own sounds and it is pretty easy.  And it sounds like a real synth.  I didn't even look into software, there are some good ones out there, but I wanted a real keyboard, I hate being glued to a computer.  I am pretty happy with the SH-201.  Also check out Yamaha, they have some nice stuff around $400-500.  I am having a blast with mine for sure.
Cool, Im gonna look into it.  As of now Im using this (but hey its free)...
http://nicksworldofsynthesizers.com/flashbeast.php

cuthbert

I just got a new toy - the Gakken SX-150 analog synthesizer.

http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKGK8

You have to put it together yourself, but it's dead-simple, no soldering required. About $60 shipped, and I was able to assemble it all in about 20 minutes.

Sound and playing-wise, it's a cross between a Stylophone and a electro-theremin (think 'Good Vibrations'). You play a resistive strip with a wired wand and it can make some real glissando swoops and shrieks. The sound quality through its built-in dinky speaker is unsurprisingly tinny, but from the 1/8" output jack it is much more full-frequency and pleasing to the ear.

I'll be using this little noisemaker a lot in the future, that's for sure.

Edit: important postscript to anyone who might be interested in the Gakken SX-150: the assembly instructions are printed in only Japanese (in fact, it's all bundled up with a Japanese popular science magazine, which contains the instructions). But it's simple enough to assemble just referring to the many diagrams.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Saijinn Maas

Personally, I don't really use too many gadgets.

If I had to pick something, I guess it would be this:

Boss ME-70

Davo

Cuthbert I really dig those things.  Im thinking about ordering one but Id like to hear what a musician can do with it.  Is there any kind of line out on it?

Got any clips?

Davo

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on September 08, 2009, 11:18:20 AMPersonally, I don't really use too many gadgets.

If I had to pick something, I guess it would be this:

Boss ME-70

Saijinn Maas Ive got a GT-8 you need a college degree to take advantage of all it can do.

Yesterday I managed to snag a SIB MR. Echo delay and an MXR Distortion+ (which is actually more an OD)-tommorow I get to crank em!