Card Read Errors and MP3 files!!!

Started by Olarte, May 11, 2008, 11:39:31 AM

Olarte

I thought I had the Card read errors licked but I found a new issue today. Man this is the ONE fatal flaw of the MicroBR!!!

I imported about 25 small MP3 files that came I ripped from an instructional CD. Nothing unusual about them about 1-2 min each, ripped at 44.1khz, 192 vbr etc... they play fine on the PC etc.

So far the first 3 get Card read errors as they play. They get it at the same spot on each song. (the spot varies from song to song).

I reformatted the card, tried another one, re-converted the files to 128 constant rate etc... still get the same errors in the same spots.

The ONE way around I found is to import each song into a new MicroBR song TRV12, then export them back to MP3. The newly created file on the Microbr works fine.

What's up with that??? It can read the file fine to import but not to play?

Has anybody encountered this? errors while playing MP3s? :-\

This whole Drive Busy\Card Read error is driving nuts!

guitarron

Hmm...
Never heard that one before. How well does it work with other mp3s that aren't from that DVD

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Olarte

Quote from: guitarron on May 11, 2008, 01:37:39 PMHmm...
Never heard that one before. How well does it work with other mp3s that aren't from that DVD

Well, I have not tried that yet, still it's weird that all of them so far (about 10) do the same thing, they play then they get a card error at some point every time... but the import\export works fine.

One good note about importing them into Microbr format is that I can then add an extra meassure of silence so I can get ready to play with it.

it's just weird but at least the workaround seems to work.

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SteveG

That is odd, I have done the same with instructional CD's with no problem. No idea what has happened there at all.

64Guitars

Quote from: Olarte on May 11, 2008, 11:39:31 AMI imported about 25 small MP3 files that came I ripped from an instructional CD. Nothing unusual about them about 1-2 min each, ripped at 44.1khz, 192 vbr etc... they play fine on the PC etc.

I'm not certain, but I don't think the Micro BR can handle VBR.

QuoteI reformatted the card, tried another one, re-converted the files to 128 constant rate etc... still get the same errors in the same spots.

Was the sample rate 44.1kHz? According to the manual, the Micro BR only supports a sample rate of 44.1kHz and a bitrate of 64 kbps to 320 kbps. As I said, I believe the bitrate must be constant but I'm not certain.

If you convert your VBR files to 128 kbps at 44.1kHz and you still have problems, then it could be that your memory card isn't fast enough. If possible, try a faster memory card (80x or faster would be good). If that doesn't solve the problem, talk to Roland tech support.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Olarte

Well let's see. I converted the original MP3's to Constant bit rate, made sure it was 44.1khz, 128... I also switched to a slower card. Both were Sandisk one regular and one ultra.

There is something weird about these particular files. IN fact it's funny because I did my standard conversion from the audio cd to alt-standard preset.

So far it's the same with all 10 or so files that I have tried. Yet my procedure of importing into Microbr and back seems to work.

I think I will convert one of the "bad" mp3's to wave then back to MP3 and see what happens.

Stranger still is that it errors when playing but not when I import it (thank god for that!).

Luckily I only need this once in a while, and it does have the added benefit of my adding a measure of silence at the begining so I can get ready to play.

Olarte

Ok, I tried again at 128 constant bits, 44.1khz etc, and still no good.

ONe thing I notice, is that I'm using Lame 3.97 or 3.96r encoder, but when Microbr does it it uses FHG (Guess) encoder.

That's the only major difference that I see on the files....

Does anyone know of a plain MP3 encoder that can use the FHG encoder, instead of Lame?

Apparently the problem I'm having is with any of my MP3's all of which are encoded using Lame, with DBPoweramp or Jriver Media Center.

Olarte

Well interestingly enough, I figured let me try Audacity... sure enough I loaded a few files that I knew to be bad... added about 5 seconds of silence at the beginning which I wanted to anyway, then exported them in MP3 format (160 cbr). and they are now working fine on the MIcro BR.

AUdacity also uses Lame 96, like DBPoweramp which is what I normally use.

too bad because I've been using DBPoweramp for many years as my decoder of choice. And I don't plan to change that. I just need to use audacity (or the Microbr itself) to re-encode the file practice with, and to insert a 4 or 5 second silence at the beginning so I can get ready to play.

Quote from: Olarte on May 11, 2008, 11:39:31 AM...
So far the first 3 get Card read errors as they play. They get it at the same spot on each song. (the spot varies from song to song).

I reformatted the card, tried another one, re-converted the files to 128 constant rate etc... still get the same errors in the same spots.

I have the same problem: when transferring mp3-files from my iMac to the BR there is a "card read error" mostly approx. 20 seconds before the end of the song. ???