"Melissa" by The Allman Brothers

Started by Blooby, August 12, 2009, 07:51:28 PM

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Blooby on August 14, 2009, 06:55:33 AMI especially appreciate the kind words about the mix because that's where my head is at these days.  I wrestle with the vocal level constantly.  And even now, I wonder if it is too high, but then it's a ballad, and the vocal should carry the tune.  But is that B3 buried?  What about the rhythm guitar?  Damn, that friggin lead is loud!  Too much reverb on the drums?  Should you even have to compress an electronic drum kit?  The vocal punch-in was at a slightly different volume.  Ahhh, I told you I was wrestling.  Argh.

To answer your questions, the vox level is absolutely perfect for this song (and very well sung).  I bet Pinedog would LOVE it!  (Inside joke btwn. P-Dog and I. ;D)  I do feel that the B3 is a bit buried at times, but I am a sucker for a good organ.  I use organ a lot and I know it's hard to tell where to put it in the mix.  Here, at times it sounds perfectly loud enough, but other times it gets lost; this is probably due to the dynamics of how the gentleman is (brilliantly) playing it, so not your fault for not constantly adjusting the volume manually throughout the mix (unless you are :-\).  Rhythm guitar (beautifully played) sometimes sounds a little low when the song heats up, but still present enough to not be an issue, IMO.  I actually don't think the lead guitar is too loud at all; it's at a great volume for my taste.  Phenomenal lead work, by the way, by both of you.  Maybe the reverb on the drums could come down a hair, but they sound pretty damned good to me, and damn-near like acoustic drums.  I would like the kick drum to be louder, though.  No, I don't think you should need to compress electronic drums!  BTW, you didn't ask about the bass, but I would love the bass to be A LOT higher (but when would I not?).

As a testament to how awesome this recording/performance/mix is, I am currently listening to this for a 4th time in a row and am in fucking awe.  I don't have a big affinity for the Allman Brothers, although I appreciate their talent and have had my moments where I really got into their music.  But generally, I'm not a big fan of theirs.  That said, this song is goddamned amazing and beautiful.  Why do you have to rule so much? ;D

Quote from: Blooby on August 14, 2009, 06:55:33 AM
Quote from: hooper on August 13, 2009, 02:56:26 PMThose real drums sound so good.

The drums are that Yamaha DTXpress IV electronic set that was the final piece of the puzzle for the living room jams (to control volume).  I love that thing and the way our drummer Dave gets around on it.  We'll have to record something that highlights his very substantial skills one of these days.

How about "Close to the Edge"?  Come on, you know you want to ... ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

SteveG

I am sooooo jealous, only time I get to jam is via the net or teaching....

Sounds like you guys have a lot of fun, and get great results too.

Blooby

I really wasn't expecting a detailed response to my opening mastering/mixing rant as I went there for humor's sake.  Having said that, they were true concerns, so I thank you, Bosko, for the detailed response.  Mixing and mastering is so subjective, seemingly depending on which way the wind is blowing some times.

I really wanted the vocal to carry this tune.  I'm a sucker for B3 as well, but I didn't want it to overpower the mix.  The keyboardist rides a volume pedal (to great effect), but it's a dilly to mix.  For a live recording (sans vocals), I'm pretty content with how it came out.  But onward to new frontiers now.  I wouldn't hold your breath for "Close to the Edge" although I have always wanted to cover "Yours is No Disgrace."  I'm intimidated by that triplet riff that Howe does in one of the themes although I have never tried it before.

As for the Allman Brothers, I can talk for a week on them.  As you live and breathe The Zombies and The Beatles, I am a true Allman fanatic.  To create such varied songs as "Whipping Post," "Dreams," "Jessica," "Little Martha," "Ain't Wastin' Time No More," "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed," "Black Hearted Woman," "Southbound," and "Come and Go Blues" (not to mention the killer cover tunes they did) in the span of their first three albums and then elevate some of those songs to otherworldly improvisational vehicles is just stunning to me.

It's no fluke I am such a noodler.  I cut my teeth on improvisational musicians, and in the rock realm, they are my favorites.  Unfortunately, they got away from band improvisation and often degenerated into mere long solos at times.  Admittedly, it's something I still like, but it's certainly not the fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants aspect of some of their early live stuff.  I still think their Fillmore East album is a high point among musical releases.

Incidentally, with what album would I start if I wanted to delve into The Zombies?  I'm only familiar with the scattering of hits they had.

Blooby

Bosko Schwartz

I will have to get more into The Allman Brothers.  I am familiar with most of the songs you mentioned, and all are astounding.  As to their live improvisational prowess, I haven't heard much of their live stuff, although I understand that is where they really shine.

Uh-oh -- you just opened up Pandora's Box, asking me about The Zombies ... :o

Well, oddly, The Zombies only released two true studio albums, although in the early days, they released quite a few non-album singles as well.  Their first album, "Begin Here," was released in late 1964, a contribution to the first wave of the British Invasion.  Much like the first albums of The Beatles, Stones, Hollies, Kinks, Who, etc., it contains some up-tempo pop/rock originals, along with a few R&B covers.  You would probably be familiar with "She's Not There," the only major hit from that album, and "Tell Her No," a non-album single released around the same time.  Just as I am more into the later Beatles stuff, I have a much greater affinity for their second album, "Odessey & Oracle," 1968.  It is the pinnacle of their career, one of the greatest albums of all-time, IMHO, and, for me, that one album alone is enough to solidify their place in musical history as well as being my second favorite band of all time.  Quantity is great, but I'll take quality over it any day.  The Beatles had both, which is one of the reasons they are unparalleled in my world.  You would definitely be familiar with "Time of the Season," their biggest hit ever and only hit from "O & O."  Judging from what I know of your musical tastes, I would imagine you would like "O & O" better than "Begin Here," but I would say that since they only have two albums, it couldn't hurt to get both of them and listen in order.  The evolution from the first to the second album is astounding.  It's like going from "Please Please Me" directly to "Sgt. Pepper" with no transitional albums in between.  I wish they would have done more work in that time, but alas, this is all we have.  Not everyone was as prolific as The Beatles or The Kinks or The Who.  If you find yourself to be a true Zombies freak, like I am, and just have to have more after getting those two albums, do yourself a favor and buy the boxed set, "Zombie Heaven."  It has pretty much everything they ever recorded -- all album material, all singles & B-sides, soundtrack stuff, early demos, alternate takes, all of their previously unreleased material, and a whole disc of live performances.  There are quite a few REAL gems there not found on either album.  To me, it's worth its weight in platinum.

You shouldn't have gotten me started ... just as you can talk Allman Bros., I can talk Zombies for days ... ;D

Satchwood

Sweeet Cut - great take on a really great cover!! !! You guys are definitely jellin on this tune - sounds like you've been playing together for years!!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on August 15, 2009, 04:39:01 PMUh-oh -- you just opened up Pandora's Box, asking me about The Zombies ... :o

Well, oddly, The Zombies only released two true studio albums, although in the early days, they released quite a few non-album singles as well.  Their first album, "Begin Here," was released in late 1964, a contribution to the first wave of the British Invasion.  Much like the first albums of The Beatles, Stones, Hollies, Kinks, Who, etc., it contains some up-tempo pop/rock originals, along with a few R&B covers.  You would probably be familiar with "She's Not There," the only major hit from that album, and "Tell Her No," a non-album single released around the same time.  Just as I am more into the later Beatles stuff, I have a much greater affinity for their second album, "Odessey & Oracle," 1968.  It is the pinnacle of their career, one of the greatest albums of all-time, IMHO, and, for me, that one album alone is enough to solidify their place in musical history as well as being my second favorite band of all time.  Quantity is great, but I'll take quality over it any day.  The Beatles had both, which is one of the reasons they are unparalleled in my world.  You would definitely be familiar with "Time of the Season," their biggest hit ever and only hit from "O & O."  Judging from what I know of your musical tastes, I would imagine you would like "O & O" better than "Begin Here," but I would say that since they only have two albums, it couldn't hurt to get both of them and listen in order.  The evolution from the first to the second album is astounding.  It's like going from "Please Please Me" directly to "Sgt. Pepper" with no transitional albums in between.  I wish they would have done more work in that time, but alas, this is all we have.  Not everyone was as prolific as The Beatles or The Kinks or The Who.  If you find yourself to be a true Zombies freak, like I am, and just have to have more after getting those two albums, do yourself a favor and buy the boxed set, "Zombie Heaven."  It has pretty much everything they ever recorded -- all album material, all singles & B-sides, soundtrack stuff, early demos, alternate takes, all of their previously unreleased material, and a whole disc of live performances.  There are quite a few REAL gems there not found on either album.  To me, it's worth its weight in platinum.

You shouldn't have gotten me started ... just as you can talk Allman Bros., I can talk Zombies for days ... ;D

Oh shit, I totally scared Blooby off with all that crazy Zombies talk! :o

Blooby

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on August 15, 2009, 04:39:01 PMOh shit, I totally scared Blooby off with all that crazy Zombies talk! :o

Not at all.  The students arrive tomorrow, and I am slammed

Blooby

Rolow

Yeah, I love this song, and this take on it is great! ;D

Must be a very fun living room.

Cheers.
Let it be known, there is a fountain, that was not made, by the hands of men.

Satchwood

I had to take another listen to this tune - very pro-smooth guitar playing Blooby!!! 

I just talked to my daughter Melissa last night and told her I need to record her an original - but I immediately thought of this song...of course :)  beautiful take on this cover !!!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Geir

not bad for a man not wearing underwear !!! ;) ;D

in fact fanbloodytastic !!!

I've said it before but I'll say it again, I would love to be present on one of your "jams"
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........