How to import and record to a backing track

Started by SteveG, August 11, 2009, 01:09:11 PM

Stan

one more query

can i store more than one practice backing track to record over, so i dont have to go thru the entire process each time?

SteveG

Yeah you can do all that, and the instructions are all here in the tutorial section. Have fun :D

kiko

this might be a stupid question but, why do you have to make the backing track stereo? any particular benefit you'd be getting from it?

64Guitars

Backing tracks are usually stereo to begin with. If you only record it to one track, you'll lose the stereo benefits of the backing track. All of the instruments in the backing track would appear to come from one location on playback. There would be no separation. By recording the backing track to two tracks, you maintain the stereo panorama of the backing track. Instruments located to the left of the stereo image will remain to the left. Instruments in the right will remain to the right. And instruments in the centre will remain in the centre.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Rata-tat-tat

Quote from: kiko on November 05, 2009, 10:07:52 PMthis might be a stupid question but, why do you have to make the backing track stereo? any particular benefit you'd be getting from it?

Not a stupid question at all... I always questioned this myself. 64 you explained it perfectly.

I do have one further question... Let's say you inadvertantly forget to select tracks 1&2 on an import of a stereo recording and record to only track 1 (A Mono Track). Could you fix this by importing the Mono track to tracks 1&2 again and the pan left and right?

Just curious I have some original stereo tracks that got lost in my messy filing system. LOL I found some of the mono tracks that I can use, but they seem to have lost their stereo functionality... Less Width and seem to be more centered.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

64Guitars

Quote from: Rata-tat-tat on November 08, 2009, 08:30:19 PMI do have one further question... Let's say you inadvertantly forget to select tracks 1&2 on an import of a stereo recording and record to only track 1 (A Mono Track). Could you fix this by importing the Mono track to tracks 1&2 again and the pan left and right?

Nope. The individual instruments in a mono track cannot be extracted and panned separately. Recording a mono track to two tracks isn't stereo because the content of both tracks would be identical. It's just two-channel mono.

stereo

mono

two-channel mono

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder