How to import and record to a backing track

Started by SteveG, August 11, 2009, 01:09:11 PM

SteveG

1.  Connect the MBR to the PC via USB (Or put the memory card into a suitable card slot).
2.  In Windows, navigate to the MBR's MP3 folder.
3.  Drag your backing track to the MP3 folder.
4.  Eject, or safely remove, the MBR or card, and disconnect.
5.  Create a new song:  UTILITY, TR1 (SNG), TR2 (NEW) EXE.
6.  Wait.....
7.  Import backer: UTILITY, TR2 (TRK), >, TR1 (IMP).
8.  Use +/- to browse your MP3 folder. TR4 (NEXT) to select track. + 4 times to change target tracks to TR12V1.
9.  TR1 (TIM) or TR2 (MEA) TIM is in minutes and seconds, MEA refers to the MBR's 4/4 measures.
10. TR4 (NEXT), TR4 (YES).
11. Wait.......
12. EXIT back to main screen
13. Press any TR button, and <> to the PAN screen
14. Press TR1 and TR2 at the same time to link tracks, = appears to signify this.
15. Pan tracks max left / right. (With cursor on TR1, press -.
16. EXIT to main screen, press PLAY, listen to the backer.
17. Connect guitar (or keys, or switch on mike, or whatever)
18. Press RECORD, select TR3 or 4, Press PLAY
19. Record whilst listening to backer.
20. Post results in the "Post your MP3" thread :D

upsetminded

I'd rather be cool than be loved. - Courtney Taylor

Stan

hi steve and thanks for your reply,

however

i get lost at your number 7, i dont get the IMP

let me know where i went wrong

Rata-tat-tat

Steve,

You just solved my problem.... I'm forgetting to pan the tracks L and R after importing. I need to work with this nifty little thing more often... or maybe read the board more often, or even better "Read the Manual" LOL ;D ;D ;D  Thanks man.

V/R
Tod
recorder
Tascam DP-02

SteveG

Quote from: Stan on August 12, 2009, 08:17:13 PMhi steve and thanks for your reply,

however

i get lost at your number 7, i dont get the IMP

let me know where i went wrong

You need to press the right arrow ... > .... to change the screen.

Quote from: Rata-tat-tat on August 12, 2009, 08:52:36 PMSteve,

You just solved my problem.... I'm forgetting to pan the tracks L and R after importing. I need to work with this nifty little thing more often... or maybe read the board more often, or even better "Read the Manual" LOL ;D ;D ;D  Thanks man.

V/R
Tod

64 pointed out to me that it is not strictly necessary to link the tracks, you do need to pan them tho..... I find it easier to leave them linked as all my bounces will be going to TR1 and TR2 anyway.

Tony W

Steve, thanks a lot for this one, it knocks some time off the whole import process, and I'm all about efficiency!

For those who want to speed up the process, make sure to read what happens from step 8 on, makes a big time difference!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Stan

i just can't work thru this for some reason the other day i reach further down the steps i could hear the backing track, but when i pressed the red button to record over the backing track the backing track did not play, the screen had numbers running down very fast but thats all that happen :'

now today i'm trying again and the Boss get stucks at the importing stage, freezes up.
i have to power it off sometimes to get it unstuck.

ideas?

Tony W

Stan, when you press the record button, your next step is to press [tr3] and [tr4] at the same time. You will see the screen flashing "REC" above the track numbers to confirm.

This will allow you to record yourself on tracks 3 and 4. I think you may have recorded over the backing track on [tr1] (track 1)

Press Play, and you should be set to go.

Now the freezing up thing, you might want to post that in another thread. I have never had issue with the BR other than my self induced problems.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

Quote from: Stan on August 25, 2009, 04:35:00 PMnow today i'm trying again and the Boss get stucks at the importing stage, freezes up.
i have to power it off sometimes to get it unstuck.

From my various traumas with the Micro BR, I'd suggest that you make sure you have plenty of free space on your SD card before you try to import a track.  If the track you are trying to import is 10 MB, make sure you have 100 MB free on the card.  (The 1-to-10 ratio just a rule of thumb, but I've had difficulty when the ratio was only 1-to-6.)

It probably would help if your card were initialized recently as well.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

SteveG

Quote from: Tony W on August 25, 2009, 04:42:23 PMStan, when you press the record button, your next step is to press [tr3] and [tr4] at the same time. You will see the screen flashing "REC" above the track numbers to confirm.

This will allow you to record yourself on tracks 3 and 4. I think you may have recorded over the backing track on [tr1] (track 1)

Press Play, and you should be set to go.

Now the freezing up thing, you might want to post that in another thread. I have never had issue with the BR other than my self induced problems.

I think he is right here, but you only need to press TR3 OR TR4, unles you are recording in stereo, or using a stereo effect.

The locking up ... You do have a 1G memory card? Try what Ted said.