WOODSTOCK! White Rabbit (Punkadelic Version)

Started by Ferryman_1957, August 10, 2009, 06:43:28 PM

Greeny

Just remembered this little gem. A very cool video mash-up of White Rabbit and Star Trek. A fantastic piece of editing!

http://starcrossedgirl.livejournal.com/290985.html?mode=reply

Ferryman_1957

Thanks Tim, you've made my day, I certainly appreciate that feedback. It was quite hard creating some dynamics because of the slightly odd structure and the temptation was to have too many guitars thrashing away. Glad you enjoyed this and that I didn't butcher a fave song. I have to say the Damned were a great inspiration as their version was what set me down this path. But I really got into the whole Alice in Wonderland thing and went for a combination of punk and psychedelia.

And as for that link, it's hysterical  :D I love it when they are dancing around the chessboard. Glad I didn't see this before I did the song, could have sent me in a whole different direction!

Cheers,

Nigel

Geir

WOW !  Love that punky edge to this. Haven't heard the Damned's version, (but "Love Song" is still my fav punk song), but this is absolutely Brilliant!!!

Love this, great everything!! You're a star!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Greeny

I wasn't paying close attention to the bass first time around, so I'm trying to follow it properly now, and it's f*cking awesome. Worthy of a complimentary post in it's own right!!!!!

guitarron

this is fucking great!!!

very creative-i like when someone takes a cover and makes it their own
always wanted a micro synth(GAS)

i love it -avatar is cool too

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Pine

This is ACE Nigel! The song was long one of my all time favs and to hear it done so creatively and emotionally is a real treat. The tones on everything are SO cool. Love the thunderdrums and the bass ...i want that sound! The vox were clear and sat perfectly in the mix. You are not hallucinating. Pinedog said the vox were clear and sat perfectly in the mix...and were also very well performed. I always wanted to do this song but i know i could never go where Grace went...so the way you dropped the vox down an octave or two on the "when logic and proportion" line comes gave you all the room you needed to wind it up again. Brilliant. Excellent song Nigel. Very impressive!!
Feed Your Head
recorder
Boss BR-1200

lg

Nigel I am a fan!
Loved the original....always did....
But I love what you've done with this!
Way cool!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Oldrottenhead

fmgwabp who are you kidding nigel this is much more than punk thrashing bloody awesome, or should i say monto beuno.
hola from spain
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman_1957

Thanks guys! I feel I ought to post the link to my inpsiration on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e7kjmb3Ees

I didn't know the Damned had done this and when I searched for White Rabbit on YouTube I found this in addition to the Airplane version. So the good old Damned (my fave punk band and the first punk band I ever saw live in early '77) were the starting point.

@Pinedog, glad you like the thunderdrums! I shall try to capture that sound again, they worked well with the growly bass. And I must have mixed the vox too high  :D I will save that Pinedog statement for reuse in the future! BTW, I hope you notice I slightly modified the vocal to say "the Red Queen's off her head" rather than "off with her head". Let's not bury those drug references.... 

ORH, enjoy your hols and dance around the beach like a madman to this one if you want.

Cheers,

Nigel 

Bluesberry

Super job Nigel, that guitar sounds really good, the humbuckers sound really good here.  Total professional job playing, mixing , mastering this one.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand