Tracks

Started by jjl5590, August 02, 2009, 05:01:17 AM

jjl5590

heya,

It is my understanding that the MBR has 4 tracks. So does this mean that you can only record 4 different things, for example, guitar, bass, vocals and drums?
Because you can only use one V-track at a time, they dont play simultaniously.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

SteveG

Basically, yes. If you use the inboard drums they don't take a track, so you have all 4 available. If you are importing drums, or a backer, you need to put them on a stereo pair, so you only have 2 left. No real problem once you get used to bouncing (To a stereo pair) on the next V tracks up to give 2 empty tracks to work in.

It is possible to have the guitar and mic inputs working at the same time, just press them both at the same time.

cuthbert

Yes, what SteveG said.

And while you can only have four tracks playing at one time (plus the built-in rhythm), with bouncing it's possible to have far more than just four instruments in the mix.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Glenn Mitchell

Said another way.. Yes only 4 tracks play at one time.
Bouncing is the key and will require some experience.
Once the 4 are bounced to 2 (stereo), you now have 2 more to work with.
The trick is to get those trax done right and panned left and right before bounding because they are locked in so to speak.
It's common to rush ahead building up the bounces and realize you wanted to change something way back.
So keep each individual recorded track on a V track for future assembly (Mixing and bouncing) If possible try to record dry as the effects tend to add up.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

guitarron

I guess there would be 3 schools of thought as to how to record with these br's
1. doing everything in the box(or mostly everything), as described -where bouncing is done
Many here are experts at getting fantastic results-see JK for eg

or

2. You could  do your tracks-filling up vtracks-then import them to a DAW to edit or comp tracks together-i prefer this method-partly, because i make no secret of the fact that i prefer not to use the BR drums(except for roughing out a song) and the editing is easier (for me anyway) in a DAW

3. i've also have done the reverse, where i've taken tracks out of the DAW to work in the BR environment

I find a happy mix of these methods for each project, and roll with it
heck, sometimes i find i use the mbr as just a tuner or a processor-this is the swiss army knife for guitarists

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: jjl5590 on August 02, 2009, 05:01:17 AMIt is my understanding that the MBR has 4 tracks. So does this mean that you can only record 4 different things, for example, guitar, bass, vocals and drums?

The Micro BR has 32 tracks. However, its internal mixer only has 4 channels, so you can only play back 4 tracks at a time. So you're not limited in how many different things you can record. You're only limited in mixing the 32 tracks for playback. You get around this limitation by creating sub-mixes along the way. You monitor the sub-mix while adding one or two new tracks.

See https://songcrafters.org/community/micro-br-b65/cowgirl-in-the-sand/msg3362/#msg3362

and https://songcrafters.org/64guitars/BR/Tutorials/V-Tracks_and_Bouncing.html.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website