recording with on-board mic

Started by jjl5590, August 02, 2009, 04:59:51 AM

hooper

Depending on how much trouble you want to go to....

A dynamic mic such as a Sure SM57 or SM58 is going to be a much better tool for handling those high sound levels.  The most simple solution would be to get the necessary chord and/or adapter so that you can plug the dynamic mic into the EXTernal jack. Set sensitivity and roll.

An even better solution would be to take two dynamic mics, plug them into a small mixer, pan them hard R/L, and send the stereo output from the mixer into the Line input of the M-BR.  Then experiment with where you place the two mics in your practice room to get the best stereo mix. 
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
These days I merely dabble at being old and wise.
But I swear, I used to absolutely excel at being young and stupid.

Glenn Mitchell

I've never been able to get my Shures to give a better sound than the on-board. Is there a tip?
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

hewhoiscalledj

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on August 11, 2009, 05:38:30 AMI've never been able to get my Shures to give a better sound than the on-board. Is there a tip?

Yes, use a better preamp. The difference in sound between an SM57 using the preamp on my Soundcraft mixer and an FMR RNP is something to really behold. You would think they were 2 different mics altogether. To be fair though, condenser mics pick up far more detail than a dynamic mic so it just depends what you are using the 57 for.

In the context of the original post, a dynamic mic will definitely handle louder sounds (SPLs) than a condenser, but there are condensers that can handle greater SPLs as well. I wouldnt put a condenser mic on a snare or kick drum or directly on a guitar cab, but a dynamic fits that bill perfectly.  Likewise, hard and loud vocals found in hard rock/metal or hip hop are often better suited with dynamics.

I like to compare mics and preamps with guitars and guitar-amps. The sound is only as good as the weakest part.