Bouncing and losing quality

Started by Facemask93, July 31, 2009, 11:03:20 AM

Facemask93

When i record four tracks , i set the panning , volume levels , reverb etc , then bounce down to two v tracks , the sound seems to get slightly muddy , not extreme , but not as good as the original four tracks individually , i've noticed that when people bounce multiples of 4 tracks and more , their quality is perfect , what am i doing wrong

Facemask93

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

launched

Quote from: facemask93 on July 31, 2009, 11:03:20 AMWhen i record four tracks , i set the panning , volume levels , reverb etc , then bounce down to two v tracks , the sound seems to get slightly muddy , not extreme , but not as good as the original four tracks individually , i've noticed that when people bounce multiples of 4 tracks and more , their quality is perfect , what am i doing wrong

Facemask93

Bouncing with reverb sometimes does this. If you keep adding reverb to each bounce, it might mud it up a little bit. Try turning the reverb off on the bounced tracks. Just a thought...

Theoretically, digital bounces should suffer no degradation of any sort. It's usually effects and reverb that mess things up.

Also, if you use drums, make sure you shut them off during bouncing...

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Facemask93

Cheers Mark , does this mean you add reverb at the end of your final bounce

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

- Roy Harper

launched

Not necessarily - Just turn it off for the tracks you have bounced to(Because they already have reverb in them). For example, if you bounced to TR12V2, turn the reverb off when playing those so you don't get double reverb. If you want to add a touch of reverb to everything, just leave it off while recording and bouncing, and like you said, just add it on the final bounce.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Facemask93

Mark i've just tried your sugestion , and it worked fine , i never gave it a thought that i'd be doubling up on reverb every time , what a prat i am , doh!
I'm thinking of getting that DVD that 64 mentioned , it's got to be quicker to visually see and hear how to work this little beauty , rather than fumble my way through the book
Thanks pal

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

- Roy Harper

launched

Excellent, Rob - Glad you made headway!! It also doesn't help that the built-in reverb is tough to configure(I have a hard time dialing it in). Also I have been in your shoes - I remember asking myself where the hell all the reverb is coming from on some of my tracks :D.

Anyway, I'm happy I could help.

Mark
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover