Oh, Lordy - The V Tracks Are Full!!!!

Started by launched, July 25, 2009, 10:43:06 AM

launched

Thanks 64 - I see what you are saying. Your example is the best way to move through the Vtracks if you don't plan on remixing. I always have to remix/rebounce at least once because I never seem to be able to get the levels/panning right the first time. Therefore, I don't see the advantage of bouncing at all while recording the tracks(Except that you get to hear a complete stereo mix all the time, but you don't need that to record a 20 second guitar blurb).

I apologize for being a nuisance - for some reason I have a tough time explaining myself :P. Must be ADD or something...

Once I have a song laid out in my mind, I usually bang out the entire thing with my guitar and a basic drum beat to one track(Mono). I will use this track or an enhanced bounce from v1 to record the rest of the tracks with.

After recording four tracks and bouncing my mono submix(If I decide not to use my original one-off) it looks like this:

Track: 1      2      3     4
v1       ■      ■     ■     ■
v2       sm    □     □     □
v3       □      □     □     □
v4       □      □     □     □
v5       □      □     □     □
v6       □      □     □     □
v7       □      □     □     □   
v8       □      □     □     □   

I then record to T2-4 and move(exchange) the mono submix to T1v3. I have enough recorded with the three tracks so I can easily put something on T1v2. So you are right that I am reusing a submix if I decided to create one.

End result:

v2       ■      ■     ■     ■ 
v3       sm    □     □     □
v4       □      □     □     □
v5       □      □     □     □
v6       □      □     □     □
v8       □      □     □     □

Obviously I have my worksheets handy so I know how the song looks on paper. I know where all my parts are going to be (Measure 27, etc.) and I do a lot of fast forwarding and rewinding to certain measures, and use A/B Punch in/out to record the parts.

I continue this process to virtual level 6, because v7 and 8 need to be used as a bouncing sandbox. I think it takes 9 bounces, about the same as any other method. I am able to bounce four tracks at a time which I LOVE, because you can really dial in a four part vocal arrangement. The final submix remains on v8.

End result after cleaning up my submixes:

v2       ■      ■     ■     ■ 
v3       ■      ■     ■     ■ 
v4       ■      ■     ■     ■ 
v5       ■      ■     ■     ■ 
v6       ■      ■     ■     ■ 
v8       sm   sm    sm   sm

So what I was getting at, is there a way to remix 7 virtual levels? I can only see being able to do it with 6.

Also your post has given me the insight that I don't need a PC at all to copy a song - just use the copy song feature (Duh!)

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Diego Ayala

Thanks for the info folks!  This is very helpfull!!!