Cut out the beginning?

Started by Nick*, July 21, 2009, 09:17:41 PM

Nick*

As I write my songs, I usually start with a metronome for my first drum pattern.  Then I start recording.  When I am all done I change the metronome to "break."  Then I mix and master everything.  However, once you play the song back, you have to wait 2 or 3 seconds before it starts because of the "break" in the beginning.  I was wondering if there was any way that I could cut out the beginning and have the song start sooner?

I hope that made sense.

Thanks

SteveB

NCK - Once you've got your Mastered Track (Stereo), you could erase the (silence) part at the beginning by using the Time/Mes Track Edit. See page 74 of the User's Manual.
If your Silence begins at 00.00.00etc, and your Sound begins at 00.00.04, you could realistically cut from 00.00.00 - to - 00.00.03, to enable your Sound to start at 00.00.01. Hope that helps a bit?
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Tangled Wires

The other way you can do it, is to import your mastered song into a programme such as Audicity on the PC, where you can simply highlight the period of silence at the start and delete this. This will then move the track back, so your music will come in right at the start.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: SteveB on July 22, 2009, 04:12:20 AMNCK - Once you've got your Mastered Track (Stereo), you could erase the (silence) part at the beginning by using the Time/Mes Track Edit. See page 74 of the User's Manual.
If your Silence begins at 00.00.00etc, and your Sound begins at 00.00.04, you could realistically cut from 00.00.00 - to - 00.00.03, to enable your Sound to start at 00.00.01. Hope that helps a bit?

Track Erase only replaces the specified section with silence. It will still take up the same amount of time. To have the song start at 00:00:00-00.0, you have to use the Track Move (page 71) or Track Copy (page 68) functions. If the music begins at 00:00:04, you'd set "Start" to 00:00:04, "End" to the end of the song (hold down Stop and press FF), and "To" would be set to 00:00:00-00.0.

Of course, you would only move or copy the pair of tracks containing the final mix, rather than each of the individual tracks.

I usually just trim my songs in Audacity. It's a lot easier because you can see the silence. Just highlight it with the mouse and press the Delete key. You can trim the end of the song in the same way.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

SteveB

Ah. Does the 900 not have the 'Track Cut' facility? I just skimmed the Manual, and presumed Track-Cut would be included with the others.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

64Guitars

No, Track Cut is only available on the BR-1200, BR-1600, BR-1180 and BR-8. It's a shame that they didn't include it on any of the other BRs. It would be a useful feature.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

SteveB

64Gs - Ah. Then I stand corrected. Nick* follow the others' correct advice.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

Nick*

Ah, alright.  Thanks a lot guys.