Main Menu

Pan Input?

Started by cuthbert, July 17, 2009, 09:22:34 AM

cuthbert

Hi all,

Another question: I'd like to do a stereo bounce of four tracks along with live input, but I can't find a way to pan the input to where I want it in the mix. Is there a way?

Thanks,
cuth
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

hewhoiscalledj

Not sure if I understand the question correctly, but to pan a track (or stereo pair) you press the TRACK button of choice, and then scroll to the PAN screen. Use the +/- button to adjust to taste.

launched

J is right, and you also have the benifit to do this in either bounce or master mode. It's slow, though - I did find this feature that works ok for faster panning:

https://songcrafters.org/community/micro-br/i-found-something-cool-with-the-mbr!/msg35141/#msg35141

One of the low points of the mbr - no faders, sliders or shuttle wheel..

Later,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

cuthbert

Thanks for your reply, hewhoiscalledj - I do understand how to pan the tracks, no problems there.

I've filled four tracks, and have them panned where I want them. Now I would like to bounce all four tracks plus the input (so I can add a live part) to a stereo pair of virtual tracks.

I don't see a way to pan the input so it rests where I want it in the stereo field with the four recorded tracks. The input lies smack in the middle of the mix. Is there a way to pan the input?

TIA,
cuthbert
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

hewhoiscalledj

Bear with me here... sounds like you'll have to bounce the 4 tracks first since it's already full. Since you already have those tracks panned the way you like it, they will stay that way once they are bounced to the stereo pair. After doing so, it frees up 2 tracks for your "Live" input. Simply adjust the panning for the new track as you did previously and bounce as necessary.

I hope I'm not misunderstanding the question. When you say bounce, to me it means condensing the 4 recorded tracks into 1 or 2 tracks. You can only bounce 4 down at a time thus freeing up the other tracks to record.

launched

Quote from: hewhoiscalledj on July 17, 2009, 10:59:22 AMBear with me here... sounds like you'll have to bounce the 4 tracks first since it's already full. Since you already have those tracks panned the way you like it, they will stay that way once they are bounced to the stereo pair. After doing so, it frees up 2 tracks for your "Live" input. Simply adjust the panning for the new track as you did previously and bounce as necessary.

I hope I'm not misunderstanding the question. When you say bounce, to me it means condensing the 4 recorded tracks into 1 or 2 tracks. You can only bounce 4 down at a time thus freeing up the other tracks to record.

This is the gospel here. Instead of recording live over a bounce, you are much better off to just record with it on separate tracks.

Plus, you have no control over the mixing bus aside from volume, which is where the "live" portion is being fed into.

I was under the impression that you wanted to engage in active panning, which is tough to do. If only you want to set static panning values, just record on two separate tracks with your original bounce.

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

cuthbert

Thanks guys. I understand what you're saying, and if needs be I will go with plan B and do two bounces.

Just to further clarify, the manual states you can record a live input while bouncing - in this way, you can bounce up to four tracks plus input to a stereo pair or just a single track. I've verified that this works, and bouncing 4 tracks plus a live input to a single v-track gives the expected result. It's just doing the same to stereo-paired v-tracks leaves the input as center-panned, which wasn't what I wanted.

Quote from: launched on July 17, 2009, 11:30:05 AMPlus, you have no control over the mixing bus aside from volume, which is where the "live" portion is being fed into.

Aha, now this sounds like it's getting to the root of it. If I understand you correctly, then it would appear that there's no way to pan the input as part of a stereo bounce. :-[
A Micro BR limitation?  ???
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

I believe you can pan the input source, but I don't have a Micro BR to check it on. Anyway, try bringing up the Track Pan screen and, with the cursor on TR1, press the CURSOR < button. That should get you to the input pan setting. At least, it does on my BR-864.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Ferryman_1957

I couldn't find a way to pan the live input. I have recorded four mixed tracks plus the live input and the live input was centred. So if you want it anything other than in the middle you will need to record it to a track and mix and bounce it in the normal way.

Cheers,

Nigel

cuthbert

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 17, 2009, 02:44:30 PMI believe you can pan the input source, but I don't have a Micro BR to check it on. Anyway, try bringing up the Track Pan screen and, with the cursor on TR1, press the CURSOR < button. That should get you to the input pan setting. At least, it does on my BR-864.

Thanks, 64Guitars.

However, when I'm on the Track Pan screen with the cursor on TR1, pressing the left cursor button takes me directly to the Track Level screen. I don't see any place to change the input panning. I went through all the screens, left and right, in the track mode.

(btw, I got to the Track Pan screen by pressing one of the TR buttons - TR1, in my case - and then moving through the screens with with the cursor buttons. Is there another way to get to the Track Pan screen on the MBR?)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase