A-B adjustment?

Started by Glenn Mitchell, July 15, 2009, 07:52:43 PM

Glenn Mitchell

Is there a way to adjust the A-B times once they have been set?
Often I just miss what I want either at the end or the beginning.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

OsCKilO

I cant get this to work right.....

I was all excited thinking that I no longer needed a Loop ped.....

Still want one though....

Has 64 posted re this topic...?

It is a function I'd love to use....

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

cuthbert

I've found that I can't adjust it immediately after setting A & B, but if you are doing an edit operation, you can adjust the Start and End timecodes from the A & B points you set. I poked around with the other functions like Repeat, Auto Punch In, R & A, and can't see a way to edit A & B there.

I'm still new at this, so I hope I've missed something and it actually is possible.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Sprocket

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on July 15, 2009, 07:52:43 PMIs there a way to adjust the A-B times once they have been set?

If so I havent found it...I just keep undo-ing and re-doing. It does get frustrating.
Somehow I wish the A-B function was more user freindly.

hewhoiscalledj

yup, it can be tough getting the timing right. for critical listening and song editing, i still prefer using the UTILITY | TRACK | COPY | MEASURE method of copy and paste. assuming you recorded in time w/ a beat or metronome, its easier and far more precise to specify BARS/MEASURES than A/B or TIME.

Not as simple, I know but far more precise if that's what you need. Again, i copy and paste the section(s) i want into a seperate Vtrack and practice, record or bounce as necessary.

Glenn Mitchell

I use it more for punch-ins for correcting flubs.
It's nice if you can tweak the start/finish seamlessly but hard to hit the AB on the fly.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

launched

I think you have to reset all AB functions every time before you can change them - bummer. I use A-B Punch in to:

1. Record all my parts, because I'm very familiar with undo/redo  :D and it automatically starts recording in the prescribed location. No manning of the record button.

2. For vocals - No more cutting out a bunch of hiss before and after each part!!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Sprocket

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on July 16, 2009, 12:48:04 PMI use it more for punch-ins for correcting flubs.
It's nice if you can tweak the start/finish seamlessly but hard to hit the AB on the fly.

When I get my A point set I will listen to where I want the B to go, I then rewind, look again at the time, I may even hit stop and then bump the arrow to the exact spot, and then once youre certain thats it, then hit B...its not totally on the fly, but it does give you a better level of adjustment, and usually without doing it over and over again.

64Guitars

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on July 15, 2009, 07:52:43 PMIs there a way to adjust the A-B times once they have been set?

There's an easy way to set A-B points accurately using Auto Punch locator points. Unfortunately, Auto Punch locator points are yet another example of a feature that's available in all of the BRs except the Micro BR.

But you can adapt the procedure to work on the Micro BR. The key to this procedure is realising that you can set A-B points while the BR is stopped, and keeping track of the A-B points on paper so that you can return to them and make adjustments.

• Set the A-B points normally, then press Play and listen to the loop, noting whatever adjustments might be needed for the start and end points.
  • Watch the counter while the loop is playing, and try to determine the approximate start and end points (either as time or measures). Write them down on a piece of paper.
  • Press Stop and move the cursor to the time or measure part of the display where you can manually re-enter the start and end points.
  • If, for example, the loop started a bit too late, adjust the time or measure to a bit before the start point you'd previously written down. Press A-B once to clear the previous A-B points, then once again to define the new 'A' point at the current position. Write down this new start time or measure in case it's still not right and you need to make another adjustment later.
  • Now set your 'B' point to the end time or measure you wrote down before. If necessary, make any adjustments to it as desired and jot down the new end time or measure.
  • Press Play to hear the loop.
  • Repeat steps 3 through 6 as many times as necessary until you get the A-B points right.

It's much easier with the other BRs since you don't need to write anything down. You can instantly jump to the start or end point by pressing the Auto Punch In or Out buttons, and adjust the start or end points as desired. Then you can set those points as A-B repeat points and press Play to loop it. But the Micro BR doesn't have Auto Punch In and Out buttons, so there's no way to jump to the start and end points. That's why you have to keep track of them on paper.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Glenn Mitchell

Thanks 64, that's pretty much what I do. It's usually on an even bar or beat in any case in order for a punch-in to sound right but occasionally it's tricky.
I thought I remembered something about being able to set the A position back by rewinding and re hitting A if you had not set the B?
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum