Recording Acoustic Guitar

Started by Nick*, July 13, 2009, 07:29:41 PM

Nick*

Hello everyone,
My name is Nick.

I own a Boss BR-900CD.  I want to get a certain sound from my acoustic guitar but I have been unsuccessful so far.

If you listen to professional songs many times 1 acoustic guitar track is panned hard left, and one is panned hard right.  So when you listen to them it sounds very full.  Basically, it usually sounds like it has a phase between the left and right speaker. 

Does anyone know what I mean?  And if so, does anyone have any tips on how I can get that sound?

Thanks,
Nick

SteveG

Play the same part twice, as close as you can, and pan them. Lazy way is to copy the part and add a short delay to one, but doing it twice works way better IMO.

Use compression and EQ too, compression in particular will bring out the sound of an acoustic. Easy to do on mixdown on the MBR, I guess the 900 is similar?

Nick*

I appreciate the response.  I'll probably just add the EQ at the end.  What do you usually set your compression at for recording acoustic guitar?

Thanks

SteveG

Quote from: Nick* on July 14, 2009, 10:02:16 AMI appreciate the response.  I'll probably just add the EQ at the end.  What do you usually set your compression at for recording acoustic guitar?

Thanks

I do that on a bounce, or at mixdown. Just play back the project, or selected tracks you are bouncing, and edit the preset. Change the ratios (hi, mid, low) till is sounds nice. Quick and easy,and no expertise required.

dwardzala

I would also recommend adding compression a mixdown becuase you can undo it if you want to change it.  If you record with it, its there forever.
Dave

BR-600

Nick*

Ah, thanks a lot!

Quick question, how exactly do you fix the compression after you recorded the track?  I know how to access it before I record something, but not after. 

Also, when I use EQ, I usually just record the track and then go to EQ and turn it "ON" but I haven't noticed that to do much.  Is there a way I change the settings on it?

Thanks again!

guitarron

"LOC" (location)needs to be set for the target track you want affected

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SteveG

To record acoustic, I use the mike, far distant setting as it picks up very well. I generally play the part twice and pan them wide.Then bounce the tracks, possibly along with bass, to two tracks using soft or hard compression, editing the pre-set whilst listening. Like I said, just mess with the ratios in compression, and the hi, mid and low in EQ till it sounds right. I then do the vocal, either using a pre-set that I know (think) will work, or recording with no effects then, as Ron mentioned, setting LOC to the appropriate track then selecting and editing a pre-set as I listen. Compression, EQ and delay here.
Then its mastering, Jangly or Live works well for acoustic I think, again editing, EQing and adding reverb.
Remember to work up the v tracks as you bounce so you always have the original take to go back to if it all goes wrong.
This is... of course .. on the MBR. Hope it helps.

Nick*

Ah..thanks a lot guys.  I'll mess around till I find the sweet spot.

Thanks again!