'Elderflower and Midnight' (LIVE) by Greeny

Started by Greeny, July 08, 2009, 03:49:20 AM

Bosko Schwartz

Wow!  And the third time's the charm!  Probably the best of the night, which is saying a lot, because the other two were so fantastic.  So was it Lucy?  Couldn't quite catch the name.  Is this your wife or girlfriend?  Just curious.  Beautiful song, and I'm sure she was blown away when she heard it.  It's a shame she couldn't be there.  Another catchy lyrical title -- don't know how you come up with them!  I don't even know what an "elderflower" is, but it sounds pretty damned cool! 

On my 4th listen now.  Nice buildup with the "elderflower and midnight" chorus, then I love the post-chorus "L-O-V-E, love" part; it is beautiful.  You're playing the same thing here, chord-wise, as you do in the beginning of the verses, but it sounds different because of how the singing melody changes in the verses.  Then blends perfectly into the next verse.  That's a great dynamic -- I love building up to a part that actually turns out to be more mellow than the build once you get there.  Brilliantly constructed!

It was cool to hear your speaking voice too, as most of us here will not have the privilege of meeting each other in the "real world," sadly.

Awesome job, Tim! ;D ;D ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

AndyR

This one's my favourite performance - it was the last one on the night, right?

And I love the title of this one (but "The Weight of Your Life" carries off the "Andrew's favourite song" prize for this little batch :D)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Greeny

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 09, 2009, 11:14:40 AMWow!  And the third time's the charm!  Probably the best of the night, which is saying a lot, because the other two were so fantastic.  So was it Lucy?  Couldn't quite catch the name.  Is this your wife or girlfriend?  Just curious.  Beautiful song, and I'm sure she was blown away when she heard it.  It's a shame she couldn't be there.  Another catchy lyrical title -- don't know how you come up with them!  I don't even know what an "elderflower" is, but it sounds pretty damned cool! 

On my 4th listen now.  Nice buildup with the "elderflower and midnight" chorus, then I love the post-chorus "L-O-V-E, love" part; it is beautiful.  You're playing the same thing here, chord-wise, as you do in the beginning of the verses, but it sounds different because of how the singing melody changes in the verses.  Then blends perfectly into the next verse.  That's a great dynamic -- I love building up to a part that actually turns out to be more mellow than the build once you get there.  Brilliantly constructed!

It was cool to hear your speaking voice too, as most of us here will not have the privilege of meeting each other in the "real world," sadly.

Thanks! Yes... Lucy is my girlfriend. and I always liked that name - for obvious reasons!!! lol

Elderflower is a wild British plant that has berries which can me made into wine and other drinks. It's a strange but beautiful flavour that has special resonance for me. The lyrics are pretty much just a snapshot of a very long summer night when we first met.

That's my 'nervous' speaking voice. I'm terribly shy talking through a mic,but not at all when I sing. Weird, eh?!

I've done that 'same chord' thing on a few songs now, and it's really effective. It somehow adds an extra cohesive layer that binds everything together. BUT you have to have a bridge part to separate it.

Thanks again - really appreciate your comments!

Greeny

Quote from: AndyR on July 09, 2009, 11:17:16 AMThis one's my favourite performance - it was the last one on the night, right?

And I love the title of this one (but "The Weight of Your Life" carries off the "Andrew's favourite song" prize for this little batch :D)

The Weight of Your Life is my favourite too. But this one has the most personal resonance - and I was getting warmed up by the time I got to this. Would have really been rocking if I'd played 6 or 7 songs!!!

Thanks!

OsCKilO

Are you giging again soon.

There is a really developed acoustic scene in stoke newington.

I could get you a gig at the free pub.

It's a great atmosphere there.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Greeny on July 09, 2009, 04:55:09 PM
Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 09, 2009, 11:14:40 AMWow!  And the third time's the charm!  Probably the best of the night, which is saying a lot, because the other two were so fantastic.  So was it Lucy?  Couldn't quite catch the name.  Is this your wife or girlfriend?  Just curious.  Beautiful song, and I'm sure she was blown away when she heard it.  It's a shame she couldn't be there.  Another catchy lyrical title -- don't know how you come up with them!  I don't even know what an "elderflower" is, but it sounds pretty damned cool! 

Thanks! Yes... Lucy is my girlfriend. and I always liked that name - for obvious reasons!!! lol

Elderflower is a wild British plant that has berries which can me made into wine and other drinks. It's a strange but beautiful flavour that has special resonance for me. The lyrics are pretty much just a snapshot of a very long summer night when we first met.

That's my 'nervous' speaking voice. I'm terribly shy talking through a mic,but not at all when I sing. Weird, eh?!

I've done that 'same chord' thing on a few songs now, and it's really effective. It somehow adds an extra cohesive layer that binds everything together. BUT you have to have a bridge part to separate it.

Thanks again - really appreciate your comments!

Awesome!  I like how you worked the word "elderflower" into a song.  Really catchy title.  Yes, that IS weird that you're shy talking but not singing!  I just imagined myself even considering playing live with just a guitar and voice and almost shat my pants.  But one day I will do it.  I've already decided.  And I'd love to do it in an English pub, open mike night, much like you have done.  One of these days I'll have to move to England, my "real" hometown.  There are too many things about Britain that I love -- including so many of the people here in the forum -- not to mention my ancestral heritage.  It seems like a wonderful place to live.  Of course, I am speaking about an entire country here, so I am sure some parts are better than others, like everywhere.  I've found myself babbling again, so I am going to shut the F up now ... :-\
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Hilary

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

hardlock

Messed this one back in the day - Very nice!
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

StephenM

top notch talent for sure Greeny.... and I enjoyed hearing more about your NC days.  I am with you.  Living here the last 21 years has been the very best location of my life and this is home for me now.  There is just so much to love.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner