Firmware Update (version 1.04) for Micro BR

Started by 64Guitars, July 06, 2009, 10:14:08 PM

Hi there Guys 'n' Gals!

Hope you're all well and that life is treating you kindly?

I have a Micro BR - awesome bit of kit but I'm trying to find the updated firmware version 1.04 but all the existing links are old ones and obsolete (not unlike myself!), there doesn't seem to be any current links at which to download the new version even on the Roland sites.

I contacted Roland US a few days ago about this but as yet I haven't received a reply.

There is a link to download version 1.06 for the BR 80 but it doesn't say if this would be compatible with the Micro BR - I'm guessing it won't be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers.  :)

Hook

I doubt the BR80 upgrade will work for the MBR. I just tried to search for the upgrade and couldn't fine it anywhere.
It doesn't seem to have made that much of a difference.
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Oldrottenhead

according to 64guitars boss update site https://songcrafters.org/64guitars/BR/Updates.html the version 1.04 was available at the boss german site. but the link now appears dead.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Thanks Guys - I received a reply (below) from Roland US saying that the original Micro BR NEVER had an update so it get's more confusing by the minute! Perhaps this only applies to the US...

All the best,

Greg :)

Hello Greg,

You've contacted the United States distributor for Roland and BOSS products. We service and support Roland and BOSS products only in the U.S.

The original MICRO-BR never had an update. If it's the BR-80 MICRO BR, the update can be found here:
http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx/downloads/?p=1167

For any follow-up or any additional questions, use the following link to contact your local Roland distributor, for service and support in your country.

http://www.roland.co.uk/support/contact-support/

Roland International:
http://www.rolandus.com/support/international/

Sincerely,
 Roland U.S. Product Support

64Guitars

WARNING: Be sure to read this entire message before using the attached update files.

I'm attaching the Micro BR version 1.04 update from the Roland Germany website to this message. I didn't want to post this without Roland's permission, so I wrote to them today explaining that version 1.04 was available on the Roland Germany website for quite a long while but was recently removed. Here is their reply:

"The version 1.04 is an official update from Roland, but it was pulled because it is possible to damage the Micro-BR if not installed correctly or if power is lost during the update. We normally try to have service centers do this update so we can control it a little bit more, so if you wanted to post this, you should probably include a warning about this. If the Micro BR is damaged, it would then need to get to a service center and probably have the main board replaced, which could be expensive."

It has always been true that you can screw up your BR if you don't install the update correctly or the power is interrupted during the installation. But I get the impression that the consequences are much greater with the Micro BR ("probably have the main board replaced") than with other BR series recorders. So I would advise against updating your Micro BR with the attached files unless you're confident that you know what you're doing and you feel that you need the update. From a previous message in this topic, we learned that the purpose of the version 1.04 update is that it "improves how data is written to some types of SD memory cards that would otherwise give a write error." So if you're not getting write errors with certain SD cards, it would probably be best not to do the update. It isn't worth the risk since there's nothing else to be gained. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

Also, the instructions included with the update are in German. If you decide to go ahead with the update, read the rest of the messages in this topic to find out how to perform the update.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Many thanks indeed for the update 64 guitars - your help is very much appreciated and the warning is received and understood. Will check the rest of the posts for instructions in English.

Cheers,

Greg  :)

Quote from: 64Guitars on November 24, 2014, 06:47:10 PM
WARNING: Be sure to read this entire message before using the attached update files.

I'm attaching the Micro BR version 1.04 update from the Roland Germany website to this message. I didn't want to post this without Roland's permission, so I wrote to them today explaining that version 1.04 was available on the Roland Germany website for quite a long while but was recently removed. Here is their reply:

"The version 1.04 is an official update from Roland, but it was pulled because it is possible to damage the Micro-BR if not installed correctly or if power is lost during the update. We normally try to have service centers do this update so we can control it a little bit more, so if you wanted to post this, you should probably include a warning about this. If the Micro BR is damaged, it would then need to get to a service center and probably have the main board replaced, which could be expensive."

It has always been true that you can screw up your BR if you don't install the update correctly or the power is interrupted during the installation. But I get the impression that the consequences are much greater with the Micro BR ("probably have the main board replaced") than with other BR series recorders. So I would advise against updating your Micro BR with the attached files unless you're confident that you know what you're doing and you feel that you need the update. From a previous message in this topic, we learned that the purpose of the version 1.04 update is that it "improves how data is written to some types of SD memory cards that would otherwise give a write error." So if you're not getting write errors with certain SD cards, it would probably be best not to do the update. It isn't worth the risk since there's nothing else to be gained. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

Also, the instructions included with the update are in German. If you decide to go ahead with the update, read the rest of the messages in this topic to find out how to perform the update.

A big thank you to 64 Guitars - update installed and working fine!!!

;D ;D ;D

Geir

Quote from: Captain Pugwash on November 25, 2014, 05:28:01 AMA big thank you to 64 Guitars - update installed and working fine!!!

;D ;D ;D
Good to hear, I was going to dig through my archives and look for it, but life got in the way :)

Hope to hear some music from you Captain !!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Quote from: Geir on November 25, 2014, 06:01:11 AM
Quote from: Captain Pugwash on November 25, 2014, 05:28:01 AMA big thank you to 64 Guitars - update installed and working fine!!!

;D ;D ;D
Good to hear, I was going to dig through my archives and look for it, but life got in the way :)

Hope to hear some music from you Captain !!!

Thanks Geir - will post some music shortly! :)

Thank you very much for the update, Always be very vigilant (careful) when performing this update!
It is now (2016) all the more necessary to do this update in order to maintain the MBR in use, since
many of the new SD cards use the newer chip layout, and everyone will most likely use maximum GB!