Recording etc

Started by I.am, July 05, 2009, 09:01:28 AM

I.am

Hello people. Recently, I got a hold of a BR 600. Not being au fait with the technical side of things, I have decided to post my Q here. I have conducted a short search to see if it has been asked before, though was unable to track my specific query, soooo, apologies if it has been asked before(pretty likely, surely).

Anyway, when I first got a hold of the BR 600, i just assumed that it would play through my amp, which it does but at a low volume and I feel that perhaps it isn't really designed to be used like this. Next, I tried it through my dodgy stereo system. Again, it played at a low volume, though better than the amp(even though the stereo is 20 yrs old and one speaker has gone on strike). So, whilst it could be used in this way, I'm not really happy with these options(I also played around with volumes on the BR 600 and they did make a difference). Next, I purchased some head-phones and played my guitar through it with those and the resulting sound output was far more satisfactory.

Ok, so the reason I wanted to play it through my amp is that my friend and I jam with guitar, mic and drum machine plugged into the amp and I simply wanted to record both some of our jam stuff and some other things I am working on. So the best outcome for sound ouput, as mentioned above, is the headphones option, but this wouldn't work for what I am wanting to do as if I have the headphones on, he is unable to hear whats coming out of the unit. Additionally, if I want to play something for someone, using some of the effects from the BR, they would not be able to hear it either. If I purchased some speakers and ran the BR through them, then had my friends mic and drum machine hooked into the amp(or BR if possible) would that work? Or is there another option? Thanks.

grolschie

The line-out RCAs should plug into the aux-in (or other RCA inputs) on a home stereo - no problem. I do this to show my works in progress to people.

How are you currently connecting to the amp? And what kind of amp is it?

Blooby

If it's not near your stereo, or you're just looking for another option, I had my BR hooked up to a couple powered computer speakers (through the headphone jack and a 1/8" stereo female to 1/4" stereo male adapter.  It worked fine until I upgraded to some monitors.

Good luck.

Blooby

SteveB

IAM - Not disagreeing with the other posters as to how to resolve your immediate problem. But if you're serious about recording, and you only have to belong to this site for a couple of days to realise that you're never gonna leave  ;D, invest in proper powered-monitor speakers, they needn't cost the Earth, and you will wonder how you ever lived without them. Also, and in the long run, make sure you invest in a very good pair of headphones, that too will repay itself over and over again.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Bluesberry

Quote from: SteveB on July 06, 2009, 12:59:24 AMIAM - Not disagreeing with the other posters as to how to resolve your immediate problem. But if you're serious about recording, and you only have to belong to this site for a couple of days to realise that you're never gonna leave  ;D, invest in proper powered-monitor speakers, they needn't cost the Earth, and you will wonder how you ever lived without them. Also, and in the long run, make sure you invest in a very good pair of headphones, that too will repay itself over and over again.
I totally agree with SteveB on this one.  I just finally got myself a set of active studio monitors and man-o-man, what a joy they are.  I was running from headphone out into the aux in on a small bookshelf stereo, and while this was OK and did the job, the studio monitors take it to another level, I can hear my mix so clearly, crystal clear, and I dont get ear fatigue as quickly either, they are meant to be listened at close distance.  If you can afford them and you have a spot to set them up get studio monitors, you will thank yourself. 

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

good monitors and good cans-are an investment you'll use a lifetime
i'd start with the cans

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

grolschie

Any recommendations for some good (but not too expensive monitors) for the BR's? Thanks in advance.  :)

guitarron

i like the Tapco stuff

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SharksDontSleep

Has anyone tried Behringer MS40's.
Thinking of getting some myself, but not too sure what they're like.

I.am

Thanks for the replies people. I'm supposing I'll need to get a hold of some speakers now. There is always something more you need to get in this game! Oh well, que sera sera.