Gonna Make You a Star - David Essex 1974

Started by ODH, September 06, 2024, 09:06:14 AM

ODH

U a Star
Time:
0:00
Volume:
1974Fest-2024 (banner image missing)

I mentioned earlier in the fest to Pete that I had my eye on David Essex and now I'm making good.

If the 12 year old me got wind that I would be listening to, and covering, David Essex, I wouldn't have been overly impressed.  But here we are, nevertheless.

Cards on the table, the mix is shocking. There's a couple of GB synth tracks as well as bass and drums. Then there's a pair of acoustic tracks and a pair of electric, on the new Jazzmaster. And a number of vocals.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

StephenM

well, I am... impressed!  such a delight at 1:45 on...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

cuthbert

Not a song I'd heard previously (only 'Rock On' ever got any airplay here in the States), so this was something of an unexpected treat.

Had a listen to the original right after listening to yours - you got the fine details down well (especially liking those 70s-sounding synths), and your new Jazzmaster sounds nice-n-twangy here.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

TPB

Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Hilary

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

the physics teacher

When I read the titel a melody came to my mind, and Lucky me it was the right melody.
Nicely done, brought back memories.
I do have an electric bass and guitar, i do have an acoustic guitar. I even have a keyboard and a Roland drum set What I seem to miss is skills. So to cure my at least 40y frustration I dicovered my instrument being my voice. So I finaly had the nerve to take singing lessons and make my voice heared thanks to Songcrafters.

ODH

Quote from: cuthbert on September 06, 2024, 11:36:14 AMNot a song I'd heard previously (only 'Rock On' ever got any airplay here in the States)

Rock On came up in a 1974 playlist and I did think about it. It's a song that's crying out for Hook to cover though.

kenny mac

Great cover ,like the falsetto at the end.
Good 74 vibe here mate .
Great stuff .

Pete C

I remember this well Nick, the sort of song I probably liked when I was 13. Love the synth line and the sound of the guitar during the chorus. Wow, you got a Jazzmaster..have you shown it on here or did I miss it ? Your vocal delivery adds a coolness to the 70's cheesiness too. Great attention to detail.

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

ODH

Quote from: Pete C on September 10, 2024, 12:57:46 AMhave you shown it on here or did I miss it ?

D'you know, I haven't even taken a photo I've posted aLink to where it came from. Coolest thing though is that I got a capo for it, made by Fender and is the same white/cream colour.  I will post a photo