In Spite Of All The Danger - Beatles first recording in 1958! - WITH VIDEO

Started by des0free, August 28, 2024, 03:18:35 PM

des0free

In Spite Of All The Danger (Beatles cover by des0free)
Time:
0:00
Volume:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzA84wsrMdY

My cover of what I think is arguably the most important record in history!

15 year old Paul McCartney wrote this in 1958 and it was the first song recorded by The Quarrymen (including Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison), who later became the Beatles. It was recorded in a small home studio with one mic and etched directly to an acetate record. The record was lost for many years, but tracked down and included on the Beatles "Anthology, Vol. 1" release in 1995.

To imitate the noisy sound of the original record I used the Free Izotope Ozone "Vinyl" plugin set to 60s record player with high "dust" (though to preserve a bit more EQ and stereo sound I only mixed the plugin ~60%).

I then decided to make a video and to rig it to look like I was playing in the famous Liverpool Cavern Club, where the Beatles used to play in the early days. I applied an "old film" effect. I had to learn a lot of video editing tricks!  The guitar in the video is a Vox Giulietta vga-3d.

Tracks:
- Acoustic Guitars (Taylor GS mini, doubletracked)
- Vocals (recorded with AT4040 mic)
- Drums, Bass, Lead Guitar - MIDI instruments
- Recorded with Tascam US 2x2HR interface into Reaper

Video recorded with an Iphone 14 and edited with Adobe Premier Elements 2021
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

StephenM

this is really cool Doug... man you knocked it out of the park... love the cool video too...

and I loved the back story about the recording going direct to record... I had heard that was done in the old days... I remember Jeff Porcaro talking about doing that in the 70's in LA... and you had to be on your game.

cool track and video Doug.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Farrell Jackson

A great idea Doug (video and music)! You pulled it off with ease, finesse...like a pro! I've never heard of this Beatles' song but I'm familiar with recording straight to an acetate record. I sang a kid's song to one when I was 5 or 6 years old. I had forgotten all about that until you mentioned acetate records here. I'll have to look through my old record stacks to see if it survived. I really like what you did here Doug!!!!!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Jean Pierre

Excellent Doug
really well done rendering with this simulation vinyl
and great video...did you use a green background? or some other process?
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

BerryPatch

Awesome job Des! I've always liked this song, John and Paul sounded great and you are definitely emulating some of that magic. Great guitar work and tone as well, the electric part sounds stellar!

StephenM

Quote from: Farrell Jackson on August 28, 2024, 05:05:40 PMA great idea Doug (video and music)! You pulled it off with ease, finesse...like a pro! I've never heard of this Beatles' song but I'm familiar with recording straight to an acetate record. I sang a kid's song to one when I was 5 or 6 years old. I had forgotten all about that until you mentioned acetate records here. I'll have to look through my old record stacks to see if it survived. I really like what you did here Doug!!!!!

yeah I would love to hear that Farrell!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Zoltan

This is superb, but i'm not as gullible as the others. Your cover is busted... Buster!

You're a somekind of a intergalactic troubadour stuck in the time loop between the 60s and 2000s.

That actually explains a lot!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Mike_S

Another that brings a smile to my face today. That's 3 SC tunes bring a fun side out and that is so cool. So needed. Wow, this is an important tune that i never knew about. Damn Paul McC was destined to do what he did. Excellent Doug. I will check out the vid when i get a chance.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

cuthbert

Nice job on this, des! I remember listening to the original on the first Beatles Anthology CD box in the 90s. The video is also very well done - you can see it took some work to get this all together.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

StephenM

Quote from: Zoltan on August 29, 2024, 04:24:39 PMThis is superb, but i'm not as gullible as the others. Your cover is busted... Buster!

You're a somekind of a intergalactic troubadour stuck in the time loop between the 60s and 2000s.

That actually explains a lot!

I believe it.. it a credible idea... and we could write songs about it.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24