JAMES, Tribute to Pat Metheny

Started by Jean Pierre, August 28, 2024, 09:34:53 AM

Jean Pierre

JAMES. TRIBUTE TO PAT METHENY
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Most of you probably know Pat Metheny, but some of you may not.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Metheny

Formidable jazz guitarist...I wanted to cover Pat Metheny's 'James'...but it was too hard...
I still tried to do an arranged part (with two guitars) on a slow tempo, keeping the harmonic grid of the piece.
 As you may know, 2 of the strings on my Hirade Takamine nylon guitar mysteriously broke at the same time??? evil or meteorological phenomenon?

https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=35165.0

So I changed the strings and it sounds great with these new strings.
So here's my timid tribute to Pat Metheny

I've given up on the idea of doing the James song as it is, but I think I'll do his arrangement of 'And I love Her', which is very cohesive.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

StephenM

ne t'inquiète pas JP... il n'y a jamais eu qu'un seul Pat Matheny... et tu n'as pas besoin de reprendre parfaitement son travail... le simple fait que tu l'admires tellement pour avoir envie de le jouer suffit.

Je peux écouter à peu près n'importe quel genre de musique mais Matheny n'a jamais fait grand-chose pour moi... ça ne veut pas dire que je ne le pensais pas génial... il l'était...

tu l'as vraiment bien joué.

don't worry JP... there has only ever been 1 Pat Matheny... and you don't have to cover his work perfectly... just the fact that you admire it so much to even desire to play it is enough.

I can listen to just about any kind of music but Matheny never did much for me... that ain't saying I didn't think he was great... he was..

you played this real nice.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Zoltan

Quote from: Jean Pierre on August 28, 2024, 09:34:53 AMAs you may know, 2 of the strings on my Hirade Takamine nylon guitar mysteriously broke at the same time??? evil or meteorological phenomenon?

They knew you'd be using them to play this song so they gave up :D

But ah, the young strings sound so fine and you're playing it so well. Perhaps the old strings should have stayed put just a bit longer...

Enjoyable and relaxing cover.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

TPB

Pat and George Benson have always been my jazz guys maybe we should do a collab of bensons on broadway
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Jean Pierre

with pleasure Tim

I send you a personal mail to determine who does what...do you feel up to doing the singing part...not so easy
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Mike_S

So good JP, I do like Pat M. Have listened to him many times over the years. Very distintive style. Beautiful. But what you have done here is incredible. You have done a very touching and brilliant tribute.

Mike

Tellement bon JP, j'aime Pat M. Je l'ai écouté de nombreuses fois au fil des ans. Un style très distinctif. Magnifique. Mais ce que tu as fait ici est incroyable. Tu as rendu un hommage très touchant et brillant.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

cuthbert

Beautifully done, JP. Your guitar has a very sweet tone on this, and it was perfectly played and recorded.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

kenny mac

This is beautiful jp.