Steed Of Wisdom (RL White Cover)

Started by StephenM, August 26, 2024, 06:15:58 PM

StephenM

Steed_Of_Wisdom
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Lucky White is a California man that writes and records songs... covers and originals.  His dad was a song writer and guitar player/singer for many years...
I was fortunate enough to hear this and thought I'd take a crack at it... this version here is a good bit different than the original.

I was really drawn to lyrics.  They make so much sense.  Also trying to do this I realized how good this guy is and has his own style that I could not exactly imitate, not even close... but I do think the tune is a cracker and I had alot of fun with this.

Steed of Wisdom by RL White

there was a time I'd sit and cry now I sit and laugh, better to laugh then shed a tear for a long gone past.
climb upon my steed and ride climb high upon his back ride with me through the desert heat and we'll never every look back.

now we climb the mountains high climb high up to the top , reach the peak and take a ride and hope we never stop.
now our steed begins to cry as the foam drips from his chest, climb on down and let him fly to the freedom of our quest .

it'll wash away your darkness, lift the weight from your chest.

see the eagles flying high and hope they might turn back, their spirit and freedom a lesson taught just like your long gone past,
take these lessons and learn them well come tomorrow the'll be the past, the past is there to teach us now and tomorrow comes to fast, tomorrow comes to fast.

4 guitar tracks, bass and drums and 2 vocal tracks using the Senheiser dynamic mic... recorded and mixed on the Zoom L-20 and then mastered in Audacity.
Not a valid attachment ID.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Jean Pierre

This is excellent Stephen...I didn't know this Lucky White singer.

I really like the way you've done the two voices, which complement each other beautifully, completing each other without overlapping, with the second voice starting off in canon at times...really well done!
There's something medieval or Celtic about this song.
bravo mon ami
I knew the French version of the song smoke this cigarette which was created by Merle travis in the talkin blues style...I think I'll do it, in French 

Translated with DeepL.com (free version);)
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

StephenM

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Mike_S

Great stuff Steve,

As I listened (without reading the description) I was thinking, yeah this is Steve but something about it is a bit different. Now I see it's a cover.

It's giving me slight Wishbone Ash vibes or something like that. Like rock about romantic times gone by, etc. It has a bit of an English 70's rock feel. Great stuff and a worthy addition to your massive collection of tunes. Really enjoyed it.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

kenny mac

Nice groove Stephen.
Like that guitar lead as well.
The effect on the guitar as well.
Cool drums
Good stuff.

Zoltan

And here i am again listening to this. Such a moody and positively vintage sounding recording and a performance.

Late 60's - early 70's. Nothing unorganic and nothing modern in this one. I'm really liking the sounds and the vibe.

The song hits from the get go and never fails to keep the vibe going. I still haven't got deep into the song as i've been enjoying the overall free flowing vibe even thought the songwriting underneath it all is solid.

I think this is one of those styles that Steph does best. All mood. No filler.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

the physics teacher

Nicely done Stephen with those two vocal tracks.
I do have an electric bass and guitar, i do have an acoustic guitar. I even have a keyboard and a Roland drum set What I seem to miss is skills. So to cure my at least 40y frustration I dicovered my instrument being my voice. So I finaly had the nerve to take singing lessons and make my voice heared thanks to Songcrafters.

StephenM

Quote from: the physics teacher on September 11, 2024, 12:01:10 AMNicely done Stephen with those two vocal tracks.

hi,
I was just reading your blurb at the bottom of your page... awesome on the voice lessons... and keep playing the  instruments too.... we are all somewhere on our path and i discover more and more it is about learning to really enjoy the instruments and not so much about trying to control them.. let them sing to you too...
can't wait to hear something you make all the music for that you sing.

Salut,
Je viens de lire votre texte de présentation au bas de votre page... génial pour les cours de chant... et continuez à jouer des instruments aussi... nous sommes tous quelque part sur notre chemin et je découvre de plus en plus qu'il s'agit d'apprendre pour vraiment apprécier les instruments et pas tant pour essayer de les contrôler... laissez-les chanter pour vous aussi...
j'ai hâte d'entendre quelque chose, tu fais toute la musique pour laquelle tu chantes.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

the physics teacher

Thanks for your kind reaction. I am working on my own cover( already 3 months) and even asked my sister to do the bridge on flute so stay tuned ;D
I do have an electric bass and guitar, i do have an acoustic guitar. I even have a keyboard and a Roland drum set What I seem to miss is skills. So to cure my at least 40y frustration I dicovered my instrument being my voice. So I finaly had the nerve to take singing lessons and make my voice heared thanks to Songcrafters.

des0free

Cool song and nice job.  How did you come across this guy?
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR