Shine On You Crazy Diamond, complete version, with video clip

Started by Jean Pierre, August 25, 2024, 07:15:57 AM

Jean Pierre

SOYCD COMPLET VERSION I-IX-004
Time:
0:00
Volume:

important update////////////////////////////////TECHNICAL NOTE

as I said, in order to make this very long piece compatible with my computer's CPU, I had to make the piece in several parts, on the one hand, and on the other, freeze, stem and partially render it.
So all the parts were mastered, and when I did the final collage of the parts, I mistakenly re-mastered them, resulting in excessive saturation.
I therefore re-rendered the complete version without re-mastering, and this is the file that's in the juke box now.

I haven't yet rendered the video (I'll probably do it if my neighbor in Savoie does a sax part for me )and you can compare the two.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

voila,...c'est ce que c'est

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-lusbyvMHk

....but this is the complete version of the 9-part suite from the mythical and monumental song by David Guilmour, Roger Waters and Richard Wright 
SOYCD COMPLETE VERSION I-IX-002.mp3
It was a big challenge to do this Pink Floyd song in its entirety
more than 15 minutes long, and I had to shorten it again because Youtube doesn't accept videos longer than 15 minutes, and Songcrafter doesn't accept files larger than 7MB.
Thanks again to my friend Corné de Amsterdam for the vocal part (which you can listen to at around 7:40).
The saxophone solo played by a New York saxophonist, Gary Smulyan, who freelances for Band in a Box is at around 9mn50...( I hope my neighbor in Savoie, who is a saxophone teacher at the Chambery conservatory, will be willing to replace him for a later version...)

And finally, thanks to "Humaninstrumentaly" who kindly authorized me to use their video clip to illustrate our cover version.

It was a big challenge because I made all the instruments, except for the saxophone...and the heliophone (or wind machine) which came from the "noisemaker's lab" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tidncOfFTBU )

PS I had a thought while publishing this for our friend Nigel (Ferryman)and his fabulous "la demoiselle d'Ys", who had used more than 60 tracks to make his piece (a must listen,...a monument of Songcrafters.org

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

StephenM

how do you keep topping what you have already done?  wow... you are absolutely amazing JP>

comment continuez-vous à surpasser ce que vous avez déjà fait ?  wow... tu es absolument incroyable JP>

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

ODH

This is a project of epic proportions and you've obviously given yourself to it whole heartedly, which I admire greatly. Bravo.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

StephenM

Incredible... I am blown away.

Incroyable... je suis époustouflé.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

StephenM

this wrecks my head... man jp... you absolutely took this song even further than PF!  Bravo.

ça me détruit la tête... mec jp... tu as absolument poussé cette chanson encore plus loin que PF !  Bravo.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

des0free

Just listening to the full 15 min on Youtube - This is ABSOLUTELY EPIC! Wow, really great job! I wonder how you could ever top this (although I know you probably will  ;D). All the instrumentation and production is really perfect.  Great instrument sounds all around! Lead guitar clearly shows your skill and sounds great. Bass - check! Cool sound FX - check! Even the drums sound great (nice BIG REVERB!). Putting this all together must have taken some serious effort!  Just to learn all the parts (tab? or all by ear?), let alone to mix it!  And the vocals by you guys are really good and do the song great justice. The VIDEO also, is basically perfectly suited to this song. I started to drift into a psychotic state for sure! Congrats on a hugely successful feat!

I actually went to see the "Australian Pink Floyd Show" PF cover band a couple weeks ago.  They're really great as well - sound just like the record, and cool laser/light show too, and big inflated characters appear! If anybody gets a chance to see them I highly recommend!
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

BerryPatch

Absolutely epic JP! Right from the intro, it grabbed me how close that intro was. Truly a labour of love and this is one of all time favourite songs. Great guitar work once again, the notes are pretty dang spot on to the original. Impressive!

Jean Pierre

Thanks guys, yes when I started covering this song with the finale (part 6-9), for the Leslie festival I thought why not do the whole song!

Big mistake...I didn't really realise the size of the task!

I was motivated because I knew that Corné would do good vocals on this song.

Doug
QuoteJust to learn all the parts (tab? or all by ear?.

No a great guitar tutorial on YT, and a bit of sheet music as there's a pretty hair-raising mix of 6/8, 12/8 and 4/4

QuoteNot to mention the mixing!

The mixing...a horror 17 tracks to mix...I thought of the colossal work of Ferryman with his 'Demoiselle d'Ys' who had to mix 60 tracks...?
my computer had several epileptic fits and the CPU threw up half my notes I had to do partial renders by section and fortunately Reaper has a stems and freeze facility which relieves the CPU.

QuoteThe VIDEO too, is basically perfectly suited to this song

I didn't know how to illustrate such a long song, I couldn't film myself with the instruments, too much work! Luckily I found a clip on Youtube made with AI by a guy I contacted who kindly gave me permission to use his clip.

QuoteAustralian Pink Floyd Show' a few weeks ago. They're really great

indeed...fabulous

Berrypatch

QuoteExcellent guitar work once again, the notes are pretty faithful to the original. Impressive!

...I probably wouldn't have done this without the guitar tutorial that I put in the technical notes.
And once again thanks to Corné (The physic teacher) who's getting better and better at singing :)

Technical notes and references

guitar tutorial for the I-V parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKq133NVDuk

Heliophone or wind machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRfdR4JvTZg

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89oliphone

Illustration video

Hueman Instrumentaly on YT, clip SOYCD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1gGk5vnZFc

Material and method

DAW  Reaper
Guitars telecaster and Precision bass Harley benton, stratocaster Squier japan
Heliophone custom made
French Horn, string ensemble Soundfonts Merlin
Traitement des voix
CLA 76, CLA Vocal, Reaverbate,L1 Ultramaximiser,L1 limiter, J 37 Emulation
Traitement guitar Guitar rig
Mastering Ozone 11

Saxophone chorus the only instruments noy playing by me It's a real track from Band in a Box with the saxophonist Gary Smulyan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Smulyan

...and maybe my neighbour in Savoie, who teaches sax at the conservatoire, will give me a chorus in my attic studio. !@004
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Zoltan

Ah... Ha. You really don't want to make things easy on yourself? I must remind you that when Pink Floyd did this stuff they had a BUNCH OF people helping out.

There were several players, several technicians, people producing and mixing. Ears everywhere, hands everywhere. Feets shuffling and someone making coffee.

I hope you at least had someone making you coffee while you slaved on this?

A great one JP! You're an intergalactic musical treasure!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Jean Pierre

Thanks Zoltan,..I love your comments, always unexpected and very perceptive...no, no one to make me coffee..I am a wayfaring stranger, a poor lonesone cowboy and a card cheat to boot..who could make me coffee?