spontaneous fracture of two strings at the same time ??

Started by Jean Pierre, August 04, 2024, 12:13:56 AM

Jean Pierre

Periode de canicule en France et rechauffement climatique
Heatwave in France and global warming

An unexpected effect of global warming? Well, yesterday I found one of my guitars (the Hirade nylon acoustic) with two spontaneously broken strings (A and D) at the same time.

So is this a sign of global warming or a cry for help from my guitar (I haven't changed the strings for too long)?

I read this on the internet

It's possible that over time the string undergoes [creep](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creep_(deformation)), the tension in the string doesn't have to be above the yield point (the point where it gives way completely) for it to deform over time, although I imagine it would take years for this to have enough effect for the string to break.

As it deforms in this way over time, there's a phenomenon known as [striction](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necking_(engineering)), where the weakest point of the string will thin, eventually reducing the strength in that area until it fractures.

Heat causes wood to expand, and cold causes it to contract. With temperature changes, your guitar will always expand and contract, but usually not enough to cause a problem. However, over time or with sufficiently severe changes, this can cause strings to break, but this is very rare. It's probably an old string, worn out over time, and the change has simply caused it to break.

.at the same time I counted that I had 204 strings under tension on my various guitars, all in the same place in my attic home studio, and only two suffered this fracture...

Conclusion: I think this is a strong signal from my guitar to change its strings. :(

Ps I would like Corné, (the physic teaWIN_20240804_08_00_19_Pro.jpg cher) to give his point of view on these creep phenomena
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

chapperz66

I have never encountered this. In fact I can't remember the last time I broke a string. Interesting.

the physics teacher

My guess would be aging of the string like you sad. And maybe because of the evaporation of the plasticiser.
I also think that the schockwave of te first string triggerd the second string.
Good luck with your attick temp.🥴
I do have an electric bass and guitar, i do have an acoustic guitar. I even have a keyboard and a Roland drum set What I seem to miss is skills. So to cure my at least 40y frustration I dicovered my instrument being my voice. So I finaly had the nerve to take singing lessons and make my voice heared thanks to Songcrafters.

Zoltan

Elementary... JP is playing in his sleep.

Let's investigate further if the same happens with the bass guitar.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

StephenM

probably more likely in nylon strings would be my guess.

je suppose que c'est probablement plus probable avec des cordes en nylon.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

TPB

Nylon will deteriorate over time and lose the elastic tension quality heat and sunlight will quicken the process might be crying out for a new set of nylons
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Jean Pierre

Yes, heat and especially temperature variations must be responsible for this phenomenon, as well as the age of the strings (I haven't changed them for a long time) are undoubtedly a rational explanation for this phenomenon, which is nevertheless quite astonishing since it involved two strings at the same time! and only these two strings out of a total of 200 strings currently under tension on my various guitars...?

It's also possible that it's an intervention by the devil (to whom I've sold my soul in exchange for greater guitar virtuosity) who's letting me know that he's not satisfied with me!

:(

QuoteElementary... JP is playing in his sleep.

Let's investigate further if the same happens with the bass guitar.

Zoltan...always perceptive

ah ah ah but on the other hand I happened to break the thread of a bass guitar while tuning a string

QuoteNylon will deteriorate over time and lose the elastic tension quality heat and sunlight will quicken the process might be crying out for a new set of nylons

Quoteprobably more likely in nylon strings would be my guess.

QuoteI also think that the schockwave of te first string triggerd the second string.

Indeed that must be the explanation for this double fracture

Yes indeed Stephen, Tim, Corné nylon is undoubtedly much more sensitive to temperature variations (and to humidity, the hard case of my luthier nylon guitar was sold with a sponge to maintain a satisfactory humidity level, and it's the only one of my guitars that I always leave in its hard case when I'm not playing it...).

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

des0free

I think your wife snuck into your studio and partially cut the old strings so that they would break and you would have a perfectly valid excuse to buy new strings.  And probably upgrade to more premium strings.  And maybe have to buy a new guitar because your old guitar is "no longer compatible with" all the currently available strngs  ;D
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

hooper

Quote from: the physics teacher on August 07, 2024, 01:38:00 PMI also think that the shockwave of the first string triggered the second string.🥴

Mr. Physics Teacher, I'm close to that notion... I think before any strings broke the 'resisting' tension of the neck and truss rod were in balance against the 'pulling' tension of all 6 strings. So, the instant the first strung broke, I would expect a sudden increase in tension on each of the remaining 5 strings. And if one of them was also almost ready to pop...Well, maybe it did!   

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
These days I merely dabble at being old and wise.
But I swear, I used to absolutely excel at being young and stupid.

the physics teacher

I do have an electric bass and guitar, i do have an acoustic guitar. I even have a keyboard and a Roland drum set What I seem to miss is skills. So to cure my at least 40y frustration I dicovered my instrument being my voice. So I finaly had the nerve to take singing lessons and make my voice heared thanks to Songcrafters.