Greetings from the Derbyshire Dales, UK

Started by jhob101, August 01, 2024, 03:02:18 AM

jhob101

Hi everyone,

Ted keeps saying I should join here, so here I am  :)

I've been playing music in one form or another for about 15 years now, from a fairly cold start with the ukulele, after having previously written myself off as non-musical (having a very musically talented brother who later went professional probably a factor), which quickly escalated to setting up a ukulele night in Edinburgh where I lived at the time.

These days I mostly play guitar (mostly acoustic but also a fair bit of electric), but also made some tunes with LSDJ on a Gameboy... and I made my own DirtywaveM8.  Dabble with making my own instruments too having made diddly bows, cigar box ukuleles, a 'from scratch' ukulele, mandoliny (instrument from Madagascar, which is how my association with Ted came about) and a few guitar pedals.

Also been learning to sing last 3 years which has been a very slow, often painful, process but I've stuck at it and been having regular lessons over zoom. Feel I'm reaching a point now where I can sing some stuff to a level I'm somewhat happy with and started writing songs this year, one of which I'm quite pleased with.  I want to write more but frequently struggle to sit down with a blank sheet of paper.  I did this songwriting course recently and really liked the process which helped me actually finish the songs.  But the required focus is still often hard to come by.

I'm more drawn to folk style songs, with a narrative, telling a story or painting a picture.

I want to perform at a local open mic night, but still plucking up the courage to do that.

But I want to write more and I'm hoping that becoming involved here might give me the impetus to have the required focus and dedication to write and finish more songs.

I'm also grappling with how to record my songs.  I've always found computer-based DAWs intimidating and a barrier to creativity, often getting overwhelmed by the seemingly limitless possibilities to the point of inaction.  But I did make a concerted effort to learn Reaper earlier this year and was getting somewhere with it.  Then I didn't do anything with it for a few months and have since forgotten it all again.  Also I've just moved from Windows to Linux so I've got to get my head around how sound works on that platform now too.  At least Reaper has a native version for linux, it's all the VST stuff I need to work out.

So yeah, that's where I'm at... bit of a lengthier post than intended, but it often helps me write these things down to get my intentions more embedded, and you lot are the lucky recipients of this mind-dump!

Ted

Admins: Remember me when annual bonuses are paid out.

jhob101 and I have been communicating back and forth for a few months now. I think he needs the SC kick in the pants to start writing and recording more. He's shared with me a few of the things he's done. The Nintendo stuff in particular is interesting. I don't think we've had anyone on the site who records on a Gameboy.

Welcome to the site. You can find the support and encouragement you need here: Advice on running a DAW on Linux, inspiration to record and share, and more.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

bruno

Welcome onboard. This site is all about having fun with music, and learning from each others experience and growth. Enjoy.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Greeny

Welcome from London. Plenty of interesting stuff in your intro - as Ted says, the Nintendo stuff will be a new one on most of us here. Get some songs posted - we're a friendly and supportive bunch  ;D

chapperz66

Hi from Northamptonshire, and welcome. You won't find a more supportive and friendly place on the wood wild interweb. Get some tunes up !

TPB

I love folk story time music hit me up if you ever wish to collab and welcome from Mississippi
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

jhob101

Thanks for the welcome!  I'll have a poke around the place and work it all out.

So is it pretty much any form of music goes here?

the physics teacher

Welkome to the Sc from Amsterdam Holland.
A very nice recognisable introduction.

I do have an electric bass and guitar, i do have an acoustic guitar. I even have a keyboard and a Roland drum set What I seem to miss is skills. So to cure my at least 40y frustration I dicovered my instrument being my voice. So I finaly had the nerve to take singing lessons and make my voice heared thanks to Songcrafters.

alfstone

Quote from: jhob101 on August 01, 2024, 03:19:58 PMThanks for the welcome!  I'll have a poke around the place and work it all out.

So is it pretty much any form of music goes here?

Mainly Medieval music. ;D

Welcome from Sicily!  :)

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder