Started by Jean Pierre, July 05, 2024, 12:20:45 AM

Jean Pierre

THE SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE render mp3
Time:
0:00
Volume:
The Shadow of Your Smile"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBgWs_EsFBY
, also known as "Love Theme from The Sandpiper", is a popular song. The music was written by Johnny Mandel with the lyrics written by Paul Francis Webster. The song was introduced in the 1965 film The Sandpiper, with a trumpet solo by Jack Sheldon and later became a minor hit for Tony Bennett (Johnny Mandel arranged and conducted his version as well). It won the Grammy Award for Song of the Year and the Academy Award for Best Original Song

--
I wanted to replay a standard jazz piece on the guitar and while doing some research I came across "the shadows of your smile".
on wikipedia
..back on you tube there is obviously a phenomenal amount of guitar covers, in different styles of this song...but still surfing on YT I came across this version from 1970 by Banden Powell

I chose this version for two reasons
- Baden Powell is definitely one of my top 5 favourite guitarists/composers
- Baden Powel's son Philippe Powel had the brilliant idea of making all his father's compositions and arrangements available free of charge
(that's why I can put this PDF at your disposal on SC without breaking the internal rules=)

For the recording I used my Takamine Hirade nylon guitar and my pair of Behringer C2 stereo set microphones, which I find incredible given their ridiculously low price (55 euros a pair!).

As this song is also the soundtrack to the film the sandpiper, I'll be including it in my Uncl'JP film music series.

To come back to John bee's message that he has unfairly very little audience on SC, I doubt I'll get much audience and admiring response(  :) ) but that's all the same, the small circle of my correspondents on SC is a priceless treasure and I renew my thanks to them.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

the physics teacher

Beautiful played when I read the titel I knew the melody. It must be the Andy Williams version that I rememebered because 50y or so ago we had the Andy Williams show on Dutch television. When I read Baden Powel I can only think of boyscouts:-) glad to be in that circle btw:-)

I do have an electric bass and guitar, i do have an acoustic guitar. I even have a keyboard and a Roland drum set What I seem to miss is skills. So to cure my at least 40y frustration I dicovered my instrument being my voice. So I finaly had the nerve to take singing lessons and make my voice heared thanks to Songcrafters.

Jean Pierre

yes, Baden Powell is the father of scouting and it was out of admiration for him that Baden Powell's father gave him the name...  :)
Having said that, Baden Powell is an immense guitarist and composer...he's in the top 5 of my favorite guitarists!
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

TPB

Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Groundy

Beautiful, Jp, Just beautiful, one of my all-time favs.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Farrell Jackson

Your playing and your Takamine Hirade nylon guitar are a perfect pair! Beautiful finger picking and beautiful song JP!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Jean Pierre

thank you, all...I'm just now winding up the A and D strings of my nylon takamine guitar, that mysteriously farted at the same time and spontaneously...no doubt a diabolical intervention >:D (I sold my soul to the devil, like Robert Johnson),...or the effect of the high temperature in my attic home studio...

Jean Pierre

UP DATE, with video for my film music cover series

it's an instrumental arrangement for guitar by Baden Powell of the song The shadow of your smile , from the 1965 film The Sandpiper, starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton  ;)

des0free

Really pleasant, tasteful, and skillful playing. Good guitar sound and recording too. As usual you are expanding my musical listening genera
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR