I found something cool with the MBR!

Started by launched, July 02, 2009, 04:07:53 PM

Tony W

Man this tip is really going to pay off. As you know I'm on the short bus side of the 48 All Stars. Quite often I lose it when trying to throw down 5 minutes of blues, and want to start over. I never backup a few measures, I always start over.

Do you know how many times I'll be 4:30 into a track and completely lose it, only to select the song, then EXE to get back to the beginning quicker than using the - + buttons?

Manna from heaven!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: Tony W on July 15, 2009, 02:24:01 PMDo you know how many times I'll be 4:30 into a track and completely lose it, only to select the song, then EXE to get back to the beginning quicker than using the - + buttons?

The quickest way to get to the beginning of a song is to hold down the Stop button and press Rewind. See pages 14 and 27 of the Micro BR manual, 3rd edition.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Tony W

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 15, 2009, 03:01:06 PM
Quote from: Tony W on July 15, 2009, 02:24:01 PMDo you know how many times I'll be 4:30 into a track and completely lose it, only to select the song, then EXE to get back to the beginning quicker than using the - + buttons?

The quickest way to get to the beginning of a song is to hold down the Stop button and press Rewind. See pages 14 and 27 of the Micro BR manual, 3rd edition.

64, your expertise is jaw dropping. Did you write the manual, or design the device? I spot read the manual, mainly because I am merely a budding musician, and everything is new to me.

I would never have found that mainly because I wouldn't even know what I was searching for. Thanks!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

That will come in very handy.

Here's a trick I stumbled upon by accident:

When you are creating a drum arrangement, and want to move from one step to the next or previous step, you can just use the Rewind [ << ] or Fast Forward [ >> ] buttons to move between steps.

Your cursor stays where you had it--and probably where you want it.

You don't have to do what the manual says:
1. Use CURSOR [ < ] [ > ] to move the
   cursor to the step number.
2. Use VALUE [ - ] [ + ] to increment the step.

Too many damn clicks!

Micro BR Carpal Tunnel Syndrome kept at bay for another day.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

64Guitars

Yes, I was doing it the hard way for a long time before I realized that I could use FF and REW to move between steps without moving the cursor. See http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/BossBr/message/765.

To be fair to Roland, it is in the manual. See the Hint in step 2 on page 87 of the Micro BR manual, 3rd edition. It's also in the manuals for the other BRs, including my BR-864. Yet, it was about three years before I noticed it.   :-[

By the way, on my BR-864, pressing the [ZERO] button while editing a drum arrangement takes you back to step 1 from anywhere in the arrangement. The Micro BR doesn't have a [ZERO] button but I'm guessing that holding down [STOP] and pressing [REW] would do the same thing. Maybe Ted or somebody else could try it and report back here?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

This got me wondering if Ted's drum programming tip could be combined with Mark's 2-button speed-scroll trick. So I just tried it on my BR-864 and it worked! I didn't know that. If you're on step 50 and you want to go back quickly, hold down [REW] and press [FF]. Mind you, it goes fairly quickly if you just hold down [REW] by itself. But, if you also press [FF], it goes even faster. Of course. it works in the opposite direction too. Assuming that you have 50 steps in your arrangement and you're on step 1, you can quickly scoot to step 50 by holding down the [FF] button and pressing [REW].

I imagine it will work on the Micro BR too, but maybe someone could confirm it and report back?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ted

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 24, 2009, 04:51:32 PMTo be fair to Roland, it is in the manual. See the Hint in step 2 on page 87 of the Micro BR manual, 3rd edition. It's also in the manuals for the other BRs, including my BR-864. Yet, it was about three years before I noticed it.   :-[

So it is.  I even looked--but I never look at those "Hint" boxes.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

launched

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 24, 2009, 05:08:36 PMThis got me wondering if Ted's drum programming tip could be combined with Mark's 2-button speed-scroll trick. So I just tried it on my BR-864 and it worked! I didn't know that. If you're on step 50 and you want to go back quickly, hold down [REW] and press [FF]. Mind you, it goes fairly quickly if you just hold down [REW] by itself. But, if you also press [FF], it goes even faster. Of course. it works in the opposite direction too. Assuming that you have 50 steps in your arrangement and you're on step 1, you can quickly scoot to step 50 by holding down the [FF] button and pressing [REW].

I imagine it will work on the Micro BR too, but maybe someone could confirm it and report back?

64, Both ways work - the value key option is more controllable and the stop/FF/RW is too fast to handle. Very nice - especially when you have a lot of tracks programmed!!

Thanks, Bud!!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

cuthbert

I can't tell you how many times I've used this trick since reading it here...thanks once more for sharing!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase