Main Menu

Beatles-ness

Started by maxit, May 31, 2024, 10:02:06 AM

Greeny

Quote from: LG2 on July 06, 2024, 02:01:21 AMOne thing I noticed with many Beatles songs, is that they first hit you with the chorus.
Then, then verses, etc...

LG

That's the Burt Bacharach trick too. It's very powerful.

Hook

Farrell really nailed it. My 1st thought was the Major/minor change used at the perfect "heartstrings" moment.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Ted

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

maxit

That s cool Ted! Since I m studying this matter I discovered that, strange as it may seem, it was mainly Paul to modulate: left to his own career john pursued simpler (but powerful) songs while paul  continued collecting bunches of key changes in a single song.
recorder
Audacity

maxit

(I m still having probs with the major/minor changes lol, i ll stick to this)
recorder
Audacity

Farrell Jackson

Ted, that is a great video on the insights of the chords and progressions The Beatles used to create their long lasting songs. Some I knew but some I didn't. Thanks for posting the video up! I book marked it for future reference.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

maxit

I add another thing: an original song idea for EACH DAMN SONG lol
recorder
Audacity

maxit

I mean: never heard before!
recorder
Audacity

BerryPatch

Use of blues (or dominant) 7s is another one to me. Sometimes they'll even descend from the major 7 to the dominant such as the chord progression to Something (C Cmaj7 C7). When someone else does this, it always feels quite reminiscent to the Beatles (Such as the bridge to Bell Bottom Blues by Clapton).

And, if you are trying to do an early Beatles style song, it may be a good idea to stick on "augmented" chord in there a few times. I never really noticed this until watching covers but they seem to use them a lot, especially during middle 8s