CAPRI c'est fini ( Parody Haiti it's over)

Started by Jean Pierre, June 05, 2023, 10:08:12 AM

Jean Pierre

haiti c'est fini !
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This 1965 song by Hervé Vilard was a phenomenal success, translated into 7 languages, number 1 in Spain, Brazil and Turkey, and in the Top 10 in Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Austria.

Marguerite Duras, a major figure in French literature, described the song as "the most beautiful love song".

My surgeon friend Rémy took me with him for the first time on a humanitarian mission to Haiti in 2006.
In 2006, the political and social situation and the banditry were such that I thought I'd never go back, hence the Haiti c'est fini parody song we sang when Rémy retired.
(...and in fact I went back to Haiti 5 times with MSF and Handicap International )

on the video you can see my American friend Colin, also an expat, perform live part of the dentist's blues (he's on harmonica).
which I'll be republishing shortly as I played it at the Hotel Oloffsson in Port au Prince (Haiti).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UV7qhO5fcA

Lyrics translation
Capri, it's over.
We will never go again where you told me "I love you"
We will never go again, You have just decided

We will never go again, Tonight let's forget it
We will never go again like the other years

Capri, it's over.
And to think it was the city of my first love!
Capri, it's over.
I don't think I will return there one day.

We will never go again
Where you told me "I love you"
We will never go again like the other years.

Sometimes I would like to tell you " let's start again"
But I lose heart
Knowing that you will say no.

Capri, it's over.
Capri, it's over.
I don't think I will return there one day. (x2)

We will never go again, But I will remember
the first time you agreed to go out with me

We will never go again like the other years
We will never go again, never again, never again.

Capri, it's over.
Capri, it's over.
I don't think I will return there one day. (x2)
https://lyricstranslate.comhaiti c'est fini !.mp3
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Pete C

Nice song JP and I enjoyed watching the video ! Looks like you had a good time in Haiti as well as the good work you did for the people there.

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Jean Pierre

Thank you Pete, when I woke up this morning, I learned that Haiti had been devastated again by torrential rains: 50 dead...
Haiti, once the "pearl of the Antilles", has become a cursed island because of the succession of crooked political regimes, banditry often organized by politicians, climatic and ecological disasters, one of which is massive deforestation, which during heavy rains like yesterday leads to landslides, as the earth is no longer held by the trees.
Haiti is a model of the ecological catastrophes that await us if we don't react.

QuoteLooks like you had a good time in Haiti as well as the good work you did for the people there.

Yes, during the 6 missions I did in Haiti, I had some very good times...but also a lot of work: during my last mission, 3 weeks of training in a prefab, 6 hours a day with a temperature of 35° and of course no air-conditioning...and only one fan for the 35 students and myself...a horror!
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo