You've Got To Be Carefully Taught, 1949 Rodgers and Hammerstein

Started by Rene Asologuitar, April 16, 2023, 11:07:25 PM

Rene Asologuitar

You've Got To Be Carefully Taught
Time:
0:00
Volume:
"You've Got to Be Carefully Taught" is a show tune from the 1949 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific.

South Pacific received scrutiny for its commentary regarding relationships between different races and ethnic groups. In particular, "You've Got to Be Carefully Taught" was subject to widespread criticism, judged by some to be too controversial or downright inappropriate for the musical stage. Sung by the character Lieutenant Cable, the song is preceded by a line saying racism is "not born in you! It happens after you're born..."

This version is from James Taylor's latest album American Standards.

You've Got To Be Carefully Taught.mp3

https://youtu.be/HlwvpuDYM2Y

Ted

There's almost a "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood" quality to your delivery. It's wonderful.

Just yesterday I was talking to my daughter how you need to be careful what you learn when you are young, because you may have to unlearn it when you are older.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Jean Pierre

Very nice, I did not know ... just ... for listening to headphones I find the voices in D and the guitar in G too lateralized
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

StephenM

Awesome job on this Rene... it was a bit odd at first as I only hear this in my left earphone... but once I got used to that it settled right into a beautiful song. 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

bruno

recorder
Boss BR-1600