Something We All Want - des0free original

Started by des0free, December 29, 2022, 05:07:18 PM

des0free

Something we all want (des0free original)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Verse 1:
Love, it's something we all want
But it's getting so hard to find
That it's making me lose my mind

Pre-Chorus
I never thought I'd find a girl like you to love, but then

Chorus:
I saw you walking down the street
With friends, one day
You didn't know I saw you
But I did, that day

Verse 2:
Love, it's never what it seems
It's better than in your dreams
But don't let it blow your mind

I tried a new approach (for me) - I outlined the whole song with drums and rhythm guitar chords, and only then worried about vocals and other parts. I Googled "how to write a pop song" for ideas :) I knew Verse - Chorus (repeat) was a simple form, but a website suggested a "pre-chorus" and gave example chord progressions which I decided to try:

Intro: Based on the chords in the verse, I just put a simple 4 bar intro: Am G Am G, then added a little lead guitar riff

Verse: Am G Am Em F G Em; I decided to just play one bar each, but add an Am to the end to make 8 bars.

Pre-Chorus: Dm Em F Em; one bar each

Chorus: C F Am G C F Am G; one bar each

Then I improvised lyrics while listening just riffing one phrase at a time, repeating until I was happy, and replacing some phrases later

Then I added bass and embellished the drums and guitars. I tried to make each section have a different sound: different strum pattern, drum pattern, guitar FX, volume, extra backing vocals in the chorus, etc.

Track info:
- MODO Drums Standard Kit, midi patterns from Hugh Padgham Drums
- Fender Mustang P90 (doubled, panned) into Amplitube 5 (American Clean MKIII (verse) and Orange OR-120 (chorus) amps)
- Fender Mustang Bass into Amplitube 5 (SVX 500 Bass amp)
- Vocals via AT4040 mic into CLA vocals and CLA effects plugins
- Guitars and Vocals recorded with Tascam US-2x2HR interface into Reaper
- Mixed and mastered using Waves Q2 EQ, API-2500 compressor, L1+ limiter
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Catchy little tune there, des. Nice crunch on the guitars, and overall a cool power pop song.

Well done!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

StephenM

Doug, this rocks.  I really love that fuzzy rhythm guitar in the chorus. 
Where this starts and where it goes is so different.  That is clever.  I can tell you put some work into this.
That rhythm guitar reminds me of some of my favorite late 70's early 80's artist like what Neil Giraldo and Scott Sheets did for Pat Benatar (those first 3 records of hers while she still had both guitarists the rhythm guitar sounded just like this.)
The lyrics and vocals show a longing, a desire, a need.  I really like that.  That underpinned bass adds to the rhythm guitar sound too...
for me this is a major winner... In my mind the only improvement that could be made would be to get Myron Grombacher to play drums on this (lol)....

The professor of rock scores!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

bruno

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Bluesberry

Totally great song....that chorus is deadly....just soars....this is top notch songwriting...the recording is very good also

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

Yes, I love it. You make great music, the strums and changes and the vocals are far out!! BB beat me to it, this is good man!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

des0free

Quote from: StephenM on December 30, 2022, 05:43:28 AMDoug, this rocks.  I really love that fuzzy rhythm guitar in the chorus. 
Where this starts and where it goes is so different.  That is clever.  I can tell you put some work into this.
That rhythm guitar reminds me of some of my favorite late 70's early 80's artist like what Neil Giraldo and Scott Sheets did for Pat Benatar (those first 3 records of hers while she still had both guitarists the rhythm guitar sounded just like this.)
The lyrics and vocals show a longing, a desire, a need.  I really like that.  That underpinned bass adds to the rhythm guitar sound too...
for me this is a major winner... In my mind the only improvement that could be made would be to get Myron Grombacher to play drums on this (lol)....

The professor of rock scores!

Hey, thanks all for the feedback.  Steve M - would you be willing to try to add a real drum track to this with your cool new drums?  I can send you the tracks...
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Redler

Melodic pop song with really catchy chorus!! I love that tone of your rhythm guitar.
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

BerryPatch

Fabulous song Des! It has a hint of 90s Power Pop a dash of alt country, and a pint of 60s pop. Great chord progression and melody with a very pro sounding mix.

T.C. Elliott

Now why didn't I think of using the evil google to figure out how to write a pop song? Regardless, your arrangement is good, I like the dynamic between the verse and the chorus and I especially like how you filled out the chorus with the dirty rhythm guitar. Good stuff.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London