Blind To Me - a tworegs and chapperz original

Started by chapperz66, November 24, 2022, 03:19:18 AM

chapperz66

03 - Chapman Smith Collective - Blind to Me
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Funky Junction!

I have been dad-dancing around the room - not a good sight!

Trevor sent me an outline demo of a song which had a funky vibe.  I majored on that element when I redid the backing and sent it back to Trevor - who completely changed the lyrics and melody.  It's now a bit like Trigger's broom (this reference will confuse many non-UK people).  Suffice it to say that it is a very different song.

I couldn't help adding a fairly wild guitar solo - Fender Ultra luxe strat through a AxefxII.  The bass I played on a keyboard using Trillian - which took me while I can tell you.  Clavinet was played using Arturia v collection.  I also used a shed load of Spitfire brass instruments.

Enjoy

Paul Chapman

Blind to me
let me tell you about what I'm wanting
Cause your the one for me
But your blind to my love now tell why is it, why it is that you can't see
Do I need to spell it out
Ooh what do I have do
To make you understand that you want me, that you want me too

You know you need me baby
You know you've got  needs
Just open them eyes and you'll see

You know you set my soul on fire
You give me everything I need
But baby your blind to my love
Oh Why you so blind to me
Why you so blind to my love when your everything I need 
Oh baby give me something cause I'm such a man in need

I need you seeing something baby

Guitar solo

Everybody knows I want you
Everyone can see
Tell me why, why your are so blind to me
Why why why

Open your eyes and tell why you can't see
Why you can't you see this man standing in front you who could fill your needs
Notice me and realise the pleasures I could give
Please open your eyes and don't walk on by
please do not resist
I'm sure you could love me right down to my bones
Cause I feel a deep love, a deep love, deep within my soul
Don't be blind to me baby
don't go walking by
Just open your eyes and your arms and let this love fly

As usual you can listen at a high quality at:

https://soundcloud.com/chapman-smith-collective/03-chapman-smith-collective-blind-to-me?si=76bfc944bdf845289a568d8386d1becf&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Ted

That bass sounds great. How much of that is performed vs sequenced vs determined by Trillian magic?

The solo is very cool, and left me wanting more. My only nitpick is that the solo guitar seems to be panned exactly in the L-R spot as the wakka-wakka-wah-wah rhythm guitar. I'd love if you could clear some space for that solo. (It's been awhile since I've been a panhole.)

With the proggy bits and syncopation, this has a bit of a family resemblance... The Carpenter's funky cousin.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

chapperz66

Quote from: Ted on November 24, 2022, 08:56:37 AMThat bass sounds great. How much of that is performed vs sequenced vs determined by Trillian magic?

I play every note - just not necessarily on the right instrument.  In fact, with the exception of the guitar parts, nothing is played on the right instruments. Trillian does contain preset midi arpeggiated options but, to be honest, it is rare that any fit my songs, so I play them on a keyboard.  I built this song up in sections and did a bit of copy and pasting.  I also had to go in afterwards to do the little slides on a different track on a different instance of Trillian. Like most software instruments, Trillian is velocity sensitive and a hard hammer on the keyboard will do the slides up.  To get the slides down you need to use a different patch and edit.

The drums are multi track loops which I add to with one-shots for the odd-time signature bits, which again I trigger with a pad controller.  This gets authentic sounding drums but does mean that I'm stuck with the BPM of the basic loops.  I'm considering getting easy drummer 3 to get a bit more flexibility. 

Good point about the wah wah guitar.  I'll have a play.

Paul

chapperz66

As an inconsequential bit of trivia - Funky Junction was a band that released an album called "A tribute to Deep Purple."  A cover album in other words.  Except this cover band was most of Thin Lizzy.  I had the vinyl - and probably still have somewhere.

StephenM

oh yeah... that bass is great... and I totally understand what you mean about having to work hard on that.  I find I might play bass lines 40 times before i get a take I like alot.... for me bass is about feel... and this feels really big...
but the whole song does... in a way on this one, Trevors vocals aren't the star for me... which is not usually the case for me.  It's JMHO and probably will be very different for someone else, and might be for me when I have heard this 20 times...
There is alot going on and it is funky...that crazy lead is great....I love it...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Rene Asologuitar

Hi Paul,
Very funky, indeed, and I am loving this.
Vocals is so loved, full of emotions!!!
And the guitar solo is so fine, love this recording.
I am truly enjoying this production.
Rene

Ray Brookes

Cool funky track, Paul. Excellent production/arranging and some great guitar work. Love the Trigger's broom reference - no income tax no VAT.
Ray Brookes

Farrell Jackson

I like this rocky, funky, progressive style Paul and Trevor! Great vocal and lyrics work Trevor. The bass and drums sound great together and a most excellent guitar solo Paul. The brass is as tight as a duck's arse, lol. Some fine collaborating guys!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

hardlock

An unexpected soulful funk-town bopper! Great arranging for sure and fine performances throughout!  8)
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Pipes

:)  Great Groove here. For sure an enjoyable listen.
 Brings out those dancing feet.
 Super composition guys.