"Oh Yeah" (Laurent Bardainne cover)

Started by alfstone, November 13, 2022, 03:37:52 PM

Ted

Quote from: alfstone on November 13, 2022, 03:37:52 PMguitar Yamaha SA2200, both with Kemper and Boss SY200 (the synth parts);

I'm starting to think that the SY-1 is just a gateway drug for the SY-200.

Not to sound like every other comment so far, but... I get the spaghetti western comparisons, and the original does not sound the same – but I see why it grabbed you! The original reminds me of some of the Africa-inspired music that grabbed my imagination in the mid-to-late 80's (In particular a short-lived American band you probably never heard of: Monkey Siren).

I love that you took a new-ish song (released this year) that most of us would have never heard before, and immediately put your own stamp on it.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

alfstone

First of all, thank you everybody! You all are so kind...  :)
I'm particularly glad that most of you, after listening to my cover, have discovered the original: it seems extremely right to pay tribute to the original composer and tune. A great tune indeed!

Trying to answer to all your questions:

it's important to me that you say that (spaghetti western or not) my cover is by many ways different from the original. If something is already beautiful, IMO is so far better NOT to try to make a *photocopy*: I could never succeed, and it would never been the same. It would be worse, guaranteed.
So, in every my cover, I try to change as far as I can, according to my taste, and I understand that often it may sound very unhortodox respect to the original. The funny thing is that I really don't know where such re-arrangement will lead to...I mean, yes, it could be a nice theme for a spaghetti western, but I didn't re-arrange "Oh Yeah* thinking about Ennio Morricone at all...  ;D

Blooby: horn section, no, not SY200, but a RealTrack from Band in a Box (actually it has 10000 RealTracks, so you may always find what you need. Not so easy to understand immediately which ones sound better according to the song/tune in your mind, but after all it is up to your taste...)

Mike and Ted: consider that the SY200 output is MONO and that the sounds coud be sometimes very harsh. The path I use, to enrich its sounds, is: from the output of the SY200 to the mixer (EDIROL M-16DX); from there to a TC-Electronics G-Major 2 signal processor, and from there to the digital recorder (Tascam DP-24SD, stereo input).

For the guitar sounds: guitar -> Kemper -> (digital output) -> Edirol M-16DX -> Tascam DP-24SD (stereo input).

Again and again, thank you!  :)

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

hooper

Very interesting arrangement and some great guitar sounds! In addition to being beautiful, it seems like there's some playful fun going on. The atmosphere immediately reminds me of early California surf music. Kind of like 'Apache' by The Shadows (even though they weren't from California...) And strangely enough, 'Apache' could also work for a spaghetti Western...

The little 'Telstar'-like synth part is fun too!
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
These days I merely dabble at being old and wise.
But I swear, I used to absolutely excel at being young and stupid.