So I made sure I was seen to believe.

I can't say I didn't try to buy what He said
Or that I was too blind to see
I would have believed with my heart and my head
But how could He have believed in me.

The company you keep can define how you live
Bad influences sparkle like frost
So many people will take and not give
You try to find yourself but you're not really lost.

So I see divinity in the rocks and the trees
In the creatures, in the rivers and the ocean
In the sun, in the rain, in the cool summer breeze
Not in some phony devotion

So here I am starting to buy what He says
And I guess what will be will be
Maybe the old guy is set in His ways
But I hope He believes in me.
Ray Brookes

thetworegs

That beginning certainly leads you in with trepidation....excellent performance of a good lyric...throughly enjoyed ...loving that breakdown at the end

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

chapperz66

Blimey - this is really classy stuff, Ray.  Mean and moody, sparse yet at the same time missing nothing.  I love this.

Paul

Ted

Moody as hell fire!

So many sounds go by - harmonica, spooky synth pad, frogs? – like fleeting thoughts, doubts, intrusions. A lone walk through the Swamp of Incredulity, at night.

And the very last line of the vocal, I was 100 percent expecting that last note to go down; resolution. Nope. You don't let the listener off that easily.

I've started a few songs about faith, but none were first person; about my journey. They tended to be critiques of other people's faith. You've given me food for thought.

You've set a high bar here, musically, lyrically, and a utterly-convincing vocal delivery. Plus my journey is boring by comparison – boring in a good way. Faith was never a high-stakes proposition for me. I never felt I'd lose my family, community, or friends, if my search came up empty (which it did).
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

StephenM

incredible stuff yet again Ray.  I also love the mood to this which is something you often create in your songs, incredibly powerful moods. 

This sets a powerful back drop for your incredible vocals.  I don't know if you ever think of yourself as an incredible vocalist but to me you absolutely are.... I have listened to the best singers this planet has offered.  You got your own thing and it is very good.  Maybe you don't sing like Steve Perry, Steve Walsh, Robert Plant, or Lou Gramm but your stuff to me is every bit as legit.  Not only that the way you can lay all those music tracks is sensational. 
Lyrics are powerful as well.  Lots to think about that folks often do ponder about. 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Johnbee

Deep and contemplative lyrics that seem to be accentuated by the fine dramatic music.

:) John B

BerryPatch

Very ominous track with very thought provoking words. I love that lonely harmonica and that hard rocking last verse feels soo satisfying. Another winner

Mike_S

Quote from: StephenM on October 17, 2022, 11:56:36 AMI don't know if you ever think of yourself as an incredible vocalist but to me you absolutely are.... I have listened to the best singers this planet has offered.  You got your own thing and it is very good.  Maybe you don't sing like Steve Perry, Steve Walsh, Robert Plant, or Lou Gramm but your stuff to me is every bit as legit.

I have come to realise it dosen't matter if someone can sing miraculously well or not, what really makes for a good listen is, is the singer revealing a part of their true selves? Can we hear something of their real life struggles or even delights. If we can, that's where the magic is. But I have to qualify this by saying you are indeed a fine singer Ray and with a great delivery.

But what a cool track, so sparse for the first section it draws you in. What a great story though. Superb.

Mike

recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ron D Bowes

Great track and great lyrics. Reminded, on the intro, a bit of the Gabrielle style of using sounds to emote tracks. Like the way it builds too. Refreshingly different. Well done mate.

Hook

It starts off all cool as fuck and then goes all badass...Comes back as a cool as fuck badass rolling on out.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely