Biting the Hand That Feeds You

Started by Mike_S, October 15, 2022, 01:36:21 PM

Mike_S

Biting_The_Hand_That_Feeds 20.57.45
Time:
0:00
Volume:
The good lady was away this weekend on a work do. Hmm, only one thing gonna happen. All guitars into the living room.

I had the general idea down before she left so I had the time to really try and get into it. I did played the main rhythm on acoustic. For some reason I was able to get it sounding ok on the recording, not sure why previous attempts were always so tinny, but I was happy with the sound.

I dug out the HB Les Paul, don't play this much either but just for a change of sound. No Fenders were harmed making this recording!

So...

1 Acoustic rhythm guitar... Yamaha
1 Electric (cleanish) rhythm track... HB Les Paul
1 Bass... cheap as chips HB mini Bass
1 lead... HB Les Paul
! lead vocal and 1 backing vocal

These old hands
Been working hard
They been doing all they can
Well these two hands
They got their scars
They been working for the man

You been biting the hand that feeds you

These two eyes
They've seen it all
But they missed the road ahead
They didn't know
The path they were on
They were somewhere else instead

You been praying but not that much
You've been waiting around for something to happen
It ain't livin' but that's just tough

—————

You've been waiting for your salvation
But your face it does not fit
You've been looking for easy answers
But nobody gives a shit

—————

These tired legs
Think they've done enough
And there's nowhere left to know
Well these two legs
Feel like they can't go on
But there's many miles to go

recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

goodness gracious Mike this is sonicalichious... ok I am inventing ways to say how mega awesome this is...

every time you write and record something like this I say.. "It's your best yet".... and I think that is just because at that moment i am always being blown away by how gol darn good your songs are.

first off the guitars, bass, and drums just floor me ....
then those REM/B52 backing vocals are stellar....
but now I am reading the lyrics... now I really just stare up at the ceiling.....as in this is up in the heavens good...
there is alot to digest in this... gotta come back again...well done my friend... tell the wife thanks for me!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

Your wife should go away more often if you can write songs this good Mike. This is really great, really catchy.I love all the guitars you used. It has a Tom petty sound to me. Brilliant lyrics and vocals. Great production.
Darren
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

SteveB

Nice hard-hitting rocker. Foot-tapping like crazy here! Given that I've just retired from working-for-the-man, this is right up my street. A wonderful mix by the way. Well done.  8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

BerryPatch

Absolutely stellar songcraft! It's like Bob Dylan learned to sing and got Johnny Mar and other Smiths boys sans Morrisey were hired as the backing band. Great biting lyrics, really adds to the somber vibe of the track. Outstanding work and great production!

Ray Brookes

Great track, Mike - I can certainly hear a Tom Petty kinda vibe. Love those guitars and excellent lyrics. Why do you have to wait for the missus to go out?
Ray Brookes

thetworegs

Is there a better way to spend your time when the good lady is away.......excellent lyric forcefully vocalized ...love it...those guitars sound beautiful and certainly hit the spot...Bravo!!

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

chapperz66

What a great song and the production is spot-on.  Catchy as a catchy thing.  The vocal harmonies are sooo good, and you are right - the acoustic is pretty damn good.  I hope you remember the mic positioning!

Paul

Redler

This goes forward like train - very intensive feel!

Fine lyrics and excellent performance!

recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Farrell Jackson

This is cool Mike! I'm getting a REM style of songwriting here and that's a compliment. Excellent vocals and lyrics. The harmony vox are perfect.  The HB LP solo break was right in the pocket! Well done and thank the Mrs. for us.
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?