MBR Composition / Songwriting / Creation methods

Started by Satchwood, June 19, 2009, 03:55:27 PM

Satchwood

I thought that I'd start a post about methods we all use to create songs....procedures that we follow....things we do that inspire us to create music on the MBR...etc.

I had answered a question on one of my posts regarding this very thing, so I'll go first.  Please feel free to join in.  And if this very topic has been posted before, please reference it.  I think it'll be fun to read everyone's method to their madness.... 8)

OK, here's my deep dark secret composition recipe in a nutshell: 

1. Jam alot with different MBR drum settings (just have fun)...or watch TV with guitar in hand and just play around...or pull out some music books and get inspired...or listen to music and get inspired...

2. Pick a key that I haven't composed a song in for a while (don't always do this)

3. Jam some more with varioius chord progressions & MBR drums in selected key (tweak rhythm tempo)

4. Work out a guitar rhythm song structure with intro, verse/chorus structure, bridge, & outro

5. Record rhythm guitar/s with basic MBR drum pattern and then adjust the rhythm pattern to fit with: intro & ending (start documenting tracks & basic drum rhythm pattern/tempo)

6. Jam alot of lead scale stuff to my recorded song chord structure, try to find some hooks and melodies (try to play what I hear in my head).

7. Record lead stuff and then start listening and listening and listening (sometimes put on mp3 player and listen often). Sometimes listen to other "pro" songs similar in style and then come back and listen to my composition...

8. Then re-do or AB punchin in/out for small corrections etc.

9. Program the completed drum pattern fills and such...(finish documenting tracks & rhythm patterns)

This entire process can take me from a few hours, to days, and even weeks....some tunes come so flippin naturally, while others I struggle with and sometimes set aside and move on to something else more inspiring....then the thought will pop in my head....finish the song dude....so I dig it back out and finish er up...
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Glenn Mitchell

Set up the MBR, pour yourself a quality scotch, smoke a big fat doob and let 'er rip.  I recommend you do it in that order too. Or at least, do NOT leave the MBR setup to last.
If you can't get inspired with the above , tell your wife you are having an affair. That should do it for sure.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

launched

Note - this is how my creative process starts - I find that it's tough to do anything with the little brick unless I'm fully prepared - It seems like anything I do turns into a 1:30 soundbite if I can't just turn the thing on and get at it.

I'm going to start with initial MBR setup and how I record - I would definitely love to hear how people set up their guitars - I barely know how to plug one in and what all the knobs are for :D

After turning on the MBR:

1. I don't like dealing with a computer when I am recording/brainstorming - I write everything down, except maybe print half started lyrics and pencil in some more. I use Ted's drum sequence worksheet for measure counting, and pencil in a track matrix on the reverse side with level, panning and reverb info. I also write my effects info down - I would love to find a sheet for that, too!!

Edit: I finally made a track sheet and included it on this thread with Ted's Drum Sequence Worksteet

2. I immediately set my Rhythm Section to song mode (RHYTHM|AR) and then set what KIT I want. Then EDT|STP my initial tempo and a drum beat or a click pattern. This will bring back the same tempo every time you power off and on the unit, and bring back all your drum work, too.

3. I then pick some guitar effects I want to work with and save them in the "Song" patch banks, so anything I save will come back after I have shut down - it is song specific so the changes don't stink up the effects for other songs. I learned the hard way and had to hard reset my unit because of that.

You shouldn't change User patch banks unless you really know what you are doing - It's not too hard to dial in a patch if you have everything written down. That's my opinion. Make sure it has an S in front of it - The manual will explain this.

4. When recording, I always use a measure number for reference - on the drum track sheet I make little // marks to separate verses, choruses, intros, etc. I am not an accomplished composer, so this works great for me.

You will never have to fast forward and rewind your head off, because you will know from written reference that the chorus starts at measure 38(Or whatever). This is also key for adding additional guitar tracks and noises later.

Also plan for room at the beginning of the track for count in and intro, etc. I usually give 8 beats for count in, for example - It can't hurt anything.

5. For bouncing, I use the "Ladder" style technique. I think Hooper or Nigel explained this in a post once - It's the best way, or at least the most effective way for me. In a nutshell, the first four tracks are obviously what you start with. Then bounce these four to tracks (TR) 1 and 2 to virtual l"level" 2 (12V2).

From then on keep all the bounces in TR1 and TR2 for each virtual "level", and the original recording tracks (Like the first four that are done) in TR3 and TR4. That way you know where your bounces are without really having to think, and as previous bounces are expendable (Thanks Nigel) you know where you can get more original recording tracks if you need them.  There is a better explanation here somewhere.

6. Mastering - I always test master first and play through a few of the presets. I have found the presets to be adequate, especially if my sounds were set up right to begin with. Mixdown and Pop Mix are my favorites. Admin has a Youtube video in tutorials for this.

Writing this makes me want to know MORE about the MBR myself, now!!

Later,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Bluesberry

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on June 19, 2009, 06:13:04 PMSet up the MBR, pour yourself a quality scotch, smoke a big fat doob and let 'er rip.  I recommend you do it in that order too. Or at least, do NOT leave the MBR setup to last.
If you can't get inspired with the above , tell your wife you are having an affair. That should do it for sure.
I like your method Glen, that is the fun way to make songs.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Vanncad

I don't know about Micro BR, but here is a recipe for the BR600:

1. Get a good riff/song idea.
2. Find the right tempo for the song by using the BR metronome/drum pattern or the BOSS Rhythm Editor (free download on BOSS website).
3. Make a rough "guide" track by playing and singing along to the tempo/rhythm you selected. (Like Launched says - make a lot of notes as you go - this will definitley help later). Make up the lyrics as you go - you might be surprised at what you get.
4. Go back and create some unique drum patterns. Try mixing things up a little by adding an extra bass drum beat and cymbal splashes here and there. NOTE: I don't know much about the Micro BR but you can also adjust the intenisty for each drum "hit" on the BR600. Adjusting the intensity of the "hits" gives the drums a little less of a "canned" sound.
5. Make a song arrangement by sprinkling the different patterns throughout the song.
6. Record a "good" rhythm guitar track.
7. Record a "good" bass track. (the "Loose" bass sim on the BR600 will work in a pinch - just remember to use the neck pick-up on a single-coil guitar for best result - IMHO)
8. Record a lead guitar track (try to use a different patch, pup, adjust tone, etc. so it sounds different than your rhythm track.
9. Adjust your lyrics (or not) and record a "good" vocal track.
10. Repeat step #9 above for backing vox (if required).
11. Bounce the tracks. I like to pan the the guitar tracks a little left and right, bass and vox center.
12. Throw some delay and reverb on everything.
13. Listen back while trying out different "Mastering" settings.
14. Find one you like and record the Master.
15. Export the Master tracks using the BR Wav Converter.
16. Open the .wav file in Audacity and export as an .mp3.
17. Post it on BossBR.net and become a star!

P.S. - When you get rich and famous, invite Glenn backstage to sample some of his "wares" (after, before or during the show)!

I personally do all my post-production on the BR because I'm a lazy basturd, but some people here do some really good post-production work using Audacity and other tools.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Tony W

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Quote from: Tony W on October 07, 2009, 11:13:51 AMI'm in way over my head.
all in good time Tony, a little bit at a time, you don't eat it all in one bite, take your time and chew. :D

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Glenn Mitchell

Seriously tho folks, my songs usually start with a lyric.
Usually a phrase I can see developing.
This morning I'm considering "Baby it's hard". Now where could THAT go?
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Bluesberry

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on October 07, 2009, 11:32:27 AMSeriously tho folks, my songs usually start with a lyric.

Pour yourself that scotch and ponder it for a few minures Glenn  ;)

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tony W

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on October 07, 2009, 11:32:27 AMSeriously tho folks, my songs usually start with a lyric.

I think you should work prune juice into the song.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR