Running 40 Days (Before I Get the Noose)

Started by StephenM, January 05, 2022, 05:18:04 AM

StephenM

LANDR-40 Days On The Run-Balanced-Medium
Time:
0:00
Volume:
NumbersFest (banner image missing)

EDIT:  I REMIXED THIS AFTER COMPLETELY REDOING THE VOCALS.  I am quite determined for now that I shall record and mix only on the new board (Zoom L-20) which means no cut and paste so I have to record a bit more carefully.  I like this mix and vocals much better overall.  I would say though that when you change the song, at least a little of that spontaneous energy I got the first time is gone.  In this case though I thought the risk was worth it and I like this better overall.  I will post the original in the post below. 
Apologies to the admin for the change after the banner was up...

Numbers Fest:

I was getting bored with my music and sick of anything I was trying to do but alas i was rescued yesterday morning by my boss ME-25.... instead of dialing up the 5 or 6 usual presets I use I went on the front and dialed up a push button called "Lead" and then dialed in this cool sound that was essentially just an octaver.  You can hear it in the rhythm guitar track.  I just could not resist this simple riff...and got a bit mesmerized by it.  So it entertained me for a number of hours until I got to this point. 
Recorded on the Zoom L-20 and mixed there.  Senheiser 935e mic.  It's a dynamic, sort of about an SM-58. 
Harley Benton guitar 2 tracks, 1 rhythm and 1 lead.  Shecter bass and Alesis Nitro drums.
since this reminded me of the Western movies (the sounds and beat) I watched featuring criminals, cowboys, and Indians it just migrated to a story about a man who lived on the run most of his life.  I found myself laughing multiple times during this and my favorite part was at about 2:20 finding this very Neil Young like vocal part that goes up into my high register... I got very excited about that.
Ear to the railroad track it's sounding pretty grim.  Running from the law I'm maybe 3 days ahead.  Problem now is I got 10 Injuns after me.  I ran off with their squaw and they really pissed you see.  I got 2 gallons of licker to barter, some ammo and 4 loaves of bread.  Another problem is Fred my horse is nearly dead. 
I've been running my whole life ever since mama popped me out.  I've suffered 2 broken backs, lost 6 teeth and had the pyles twice. 
Now I got a delightful lady friend.  I robbed a bank near Dallas and I gave her a diamond ring.  She loves me good now I stole her heart, but we're on the lamb. 
Running 40 days and making out 40 sleepless nights.  I'm going out with a bang, bang, bang, bang. 
The law is after me, 10 injuns after me but I've been running my whole life.  Maybe there's time for a little papoose before I get the noose. 
Running 40 days and making out 40 sleepless nights.   I'm going out with a bang, bang, bang, bang. 
The law is after me, 10 injuns after me but I've been running my whole life.  Maybe there's time for a little papoose before I get the noose.  We're on the lamb, we're living off the land.  We got people after us..... we got people after us, or at least after me.  I'm going out with a bang.

also this is a song that is better on the head phones to me...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

hardlock

Got a big smile hearing this one! Not too jazzed with the conflicting vocals conversations (the overlap only) but each track is a good vocal in itself. that said, love the Neal Young vibe a lot and that lead tone you have kills! "Party On Garth!" 8)
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Hook

I quite like the doubled , competing vocals. Fun and interesting listen, definitely get the NY vibe.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

godinqc

Great song .. really liked the Neil Young vibe to it ..
Also liked the double vocals ..
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

Mike_S

Great old school rocker Steve. Sometimes you gotta just plug in turn it up and rock the hell out. I kinda miss those old style westerns. The ones were the tough guys were actually tough. Not like the pussies you get in most movies nowadays. Not really PC these days to have men in the sterotypical tough guy mould... I hope it comes back into vogue.

Cracking rocker, cracking riff. Great tones, love the story. Massive drums. Fantastic.

Mike

recorder
iPad GarageBand

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

Sorry I nearly missed this. Oh yeah, this is sounding just great.
I love that guitar sound, its like ZZ top and Neil young combined.
Love the lyrics, " Fred the horse" lol. Really catchy song and great music and vocals. ( and production) like that ending too.

I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Zoltan

QuoteSo it entertained me for a number of hours until I got to this point.

I wish i could get some of that inspiration! At that point i would have already gone and went :) This is once again a lesson in epic storytelling, building a mood, setting the scenery and then letting it loose. A bit more relaxed than some of your other songs, but with a killer groove that takes it's time to work its magic. I like the several layer of vocals / voices. Some parts of the drumming brought images of indians closing in to mind. The song isn't cinematic as per se, but it's pop cinematic in a sense. If that makes sense :D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

TPB

love the lyrics got me smiling early in the morning Well done brother
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Ray Brookes

Great fun track, Steve and that guitar sound is fantastic. I like the guitar riff too and cool lyrics.
Ray Brookes

tonyc

love it stephen , the guitar work is brill , and superb vocals  ......cheers tony cee
recorder
Zoom HD16