"Mystery" a Hook original

Started by Hook, September 01, 2021, 06:34:28 AM

Hook

Mystery
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Wrote this (or at least a version of) a few weeks ago and kinda sat on it. Re-worked it yesterday and recorded this.
The guitar is my $30 classical w/ too high action. The cello & flute are thumbjam & the guitar solo is my Traveler Electric.
1 guitar/vocal (stereo)
1 cello
1 flute
1 guitar solo (stereo)
Mystery
written & performed by Hook
He has many faces
At least 4 more than me
How can I ever think
That I could compete

He's a Mystery
With many different side
A complicated puzzle
A well earned prize

& I'm not quite normal
But not very distinct
Peculiar in my own way
Not terribly extreme

He's a classic figure
Chiseled features
I'm a classic figure
Comedic features

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Farrell Jackson

The cello, flute and classical guitar work so well together! Great vocal, melody and complicated lyric Hook. A beautiful and relaxing listen that's from the soul....nicely done!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

guitarron

I always liked the mournful sound of a cello. Very distinct indeed. Nice job Hook

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

BerryPatch

Lovely track Hook. A great sequence of chords with some poignant lyrics. I really enjoy the orchestral flourishes you added as well.

Groundy

Wow, Hook, this is so good, well written and performed, such a great sound... Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

StephenM

There is such a feeling in your voice these days...obviously I haven't heard even a fraction of your work, I mean 800 plus songs?  But for me it seems there's a new hunger...and that makes for great music...
I like this alot...I think you could make another version of this where the lyrics replace the "He" with "She"....then it becomes another song entirely about a woman that is impossible...great stuff here Hook...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ferryman_1957

Wow, this is very deep and intriguing  (another one, you are some songwriter!). Those lyrics are really good and imply so much. The music is beautiful and makes the whole things seem sad and poignant. The guitar and cello work so well together and  the other additions add some nice melodic touches. A very sensitive vocal over the top makes this track an absolute killer. Superb stuff.

Blooby

This is super good. Drew me right in. Great lyrics and performance. I love how the nylon string and the cello compliment each other s well.

Really great post. Nice one.

Blooby

Mike_S

Damn... Hook this is one of your very best tunes and I am hesitant to say that as you have very many great tracks. But for me this has a depth and simplicity and some kind of meaning that is well... mysterious and lets us build our own picture/story. I totally love the lyrics in this and it's fair to say I am generally not a lyrics kind of guy. But SC has made me listen to and appreciate the art of good lyrics more. Brilliant.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand