'Dark Day Mugshot' - A Max & Greeny original

Started by Greeny, August 31, 2021, 10:29:42 AM

Greeny

Dark Day Mugshot_Max & Greeny
Time:
0:00
Volume:
A song for the summer that never arrived in the UK this year. We needed it, but it let us down  :(

Max on piano & orchestration, and me on vocals.

Dark Day Mugshot

take your umbrella
cause you know that it's raining somewhere
somewhere in the asylum of the world

Mr policeman, won't you arrest this dark day?
read it it's rights
And don't let it out on bail

the moon obscured
by the fact that it's raining somewhere
somewhere where the summer's bound and gagged
fly my pretties fly
says the witch up on here ramparts
'surrender dorothy' across the sky

read it it's rights

on the merry-go-round
in the city of angels
plastic saddles on
the horses of time
salt in the wounds
but the sun won't come down healing
the sonnets spill out
of this notebook of mine

that bridge got burned
when I learned that it's raining somewhere
somewhere where the chairs get rearranged
the band plays on
even though the ship is sinking
sinking in the sorrow of the waves

read it it's rights

StephenM

interesting lyrics...really like the allusions to the "Wizard of Oz" and perhaps "Titanic" as well...
i suppose it makes it much harder for us in a way that the world is interconnected because we see everyone's troubles, everywhere, all the time (at least the ones they want to put up)...
anyway...great song.

the piano with the strings in the back are stunning...i love that sound...nice backing vox as well...nice, very nice singing

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Nelson

Two Pros at work.
Production wise another brilliant piece of music Max. I'm still getting a nice Billy Joel vibe on piano and I love the intricate bits of orchestration throughout.
Tim the eccense of the lyric is definetly relatable to the masses and your performances on these pieces never feel like your just singing over Max's music it always feels and sound like an organic creation, with lyrics perfectly written, performed, placed and mix in with Max's music.
Feels more wolven together than layered.
You guys really do remind me of Bernie and elton's partnership, except I think they do it in reverse with Bernie sending lyrics to Elton, to work his magic.

Impressive work guys
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

guitarron

You guys channeled your inner Billy Joel! Very nice job the instrumentation is tight and vocal we're smooth.
Clever lyrics.

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

maxit

Quote from: Nelson on August 31, 2021, 11:02:05 AMYou guys really do remind me of Bernie and elton's partnership, except I think they do it in reverse with Bernie sending lyrics to Elton, to work his magic.
Thanks Nelson this comparison is maybe too much, but much appreciated LoL (of course this thing going on with Tim - Ok, I love him but for the moment I'm not going to do a coming out LoL - is an old fashioned way to write, kinda tin pan alley, I think it's still cool - I like it).
recorder
Audacity

Hook

Love this tune, what a great track maxit created and the combo of M& G is a force to be reckoned with. Nicely done my friends

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

chapperz66

Absolutely beautiful. Superb lyrical imagery and great chord sequence. Love the orchestration Max! 

StephenM

LANDR-T0910_01-Balanced-Medium
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Yesterday afternoon I was listening to this over and over...the piano and the voice is just so good...and I thought...hmmm...I want to play drums to this...just for fun....then it was can I add bass also...
the song needed nothing...perfect as is...but I spent hours, literally learning an acceptable bass line...i love the progression here but I would never think of it..so I had to kind of write out what I could play and it took me a few hours to get something good enough...the drums are well...maybe a bit too much hi hat but...it was fun and I sent this to Tim...just for him to hear it and he said I could post it...so maybe you will like another version of a great song.
I think the bass tones etc reminds me of some of the bass work from McCartney's band "Wings"....I thought that was cool

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ferryman_1957

Wow, two great versions of the same song for the price of one! It's a lovely piano piece and the simple strings add a great atmosphere, and I love the pizzicato (?) part at the end. Superb writing and arranging. Tim's lyrics are wonderful, such great images and they fit the music perfectly. Beautiful production from Max as well, so crisp and clear. It's a quite wonderful piece of music.

Steve's additions work really well, superb bass playing and great bass sound, it really fits. Nicely mixed too, it's really there but it doesn't get in the way but adds a lovely richness to the song. The drums are great but they are a little prominent at times (those transients could do with a little bit of taming.......) but that's me being very picky. I think overall it's fantastic.

Loved them both. Well done guys.

BerryPatch

Quality track from the Max and Greeny Songbook. I really enjoy the arrangements in here and the subtle but effective string part in the chorus. Another great lyrics as well Tim.

I really enjoy the additions you made Steve. Love the bass tone especially, great line as well. I really like the restraint in the drums, almost Ringo like. Though I think I agree with Nigel in fact that they could be turned down a little bit.