My Swindon Town Man (Hilary)

Started by Hilary, August 13, 2021, 09:48:19 AM

Hilary

My Swindon Town Man
Time:
0:00
Volume:
1 track - piano/vox LitLR and there's a swearword it in  ::)

Enjoy!

My Swindon Town Man

I'm really quite partial to a stetson hat
and a pair of cowboy boots
but there's only one cowboy in Swindon Town
it's Double Glazing Dave in his dressing gown
and it's not quite the same
no it's not quite the same

So I've been searching all around
I've been searching up and down
I've been searching all over town
for my Swindon Town Cowboy man

Coz it don't have to be in Swindon
might be Lechlade, or Purton or Shirvenham, or Uffington, or Castle Eaton (now that sounds very glamorous) or Great Coxwell (you can't make this shit up can you)

I'm really quite partial to a stetson hat
and a pair of cowboy boots
but there's only one cowboy near and far
it's Double Glazing Dave and his lime green Ka car
(I'll be honest that line's better written down)
and it's not quite the same
no it's not quite the same

and I've been searching all around
I've been searching up and down
I've been searching all over town
for my Swindon Town Cowboy man

(It might be Lyneham, now there's a military base in Lyneham
but that's a whole different song)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Ferryman_1957

Ah, Swindon town, home of the fourth-scariest road junction in Britain. And Double-Glazing Dave. A charming and very wry song that made me smile a lot. Love your wordplay and the way you break the wall with the listener. Another Hilary classic, enjoyed this a lot.

If you like stetsons and cowboy boots, you might enjoy a vacation in Texas....... ;)

StephenM

lots of cowboy boots and hats in Nashville too...

the lyrics and vocals really drew me right in...to hear what was and what was coming...and boom...there it was....the hilarious part too...

love your wordplay and your interesting themes and delivery!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Groundy

Another hit for me Hilary, bloody brilliant, thanks for sharing... Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Ray Brookes

Another cool humorous song, H. We got a few cowboys down here too but that's a whole different song.
Ray Brookes

guitarron

This one had me smile all through it. Never been to the UK but it had looking at my map. Nice job fun tune

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Zoltan

I'm running out out superlatives with these songs from Hilary! Another great one with a performance that draws you right in and lyrics (the hooks!) that keep you all lined up until the very end. Strong imaginery and characters built with only a few words. That's master craftsmanship in action! :)

(Sometimes when i write these comments i feel like i might sound like a posh wanker... but i guess that's better than the Gutter Dave i seem to channel at other times ;)).
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

chapperz66

Great song Hilary!
I know Swindon very well.  I had a girlfriend who lived there.  34 years ago I  married her.  And she just cooked me a bacon sandwich. I'm in danger of getting mawkish...

Hilary

Quote from: chapperz66 on August 14, 2021, 06:30:19 AMI had a girlfriend who lived there.  34 years ago I  married her.  And she just cooked me a bacon sandwich. I'm in danger of getting mawkish...

You've just described my life, right down to the bacon sandwich!

I've just had to ask my husband how long we've been married, it's been so long I've forgotten  :)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

bruno

Great tune Hilary.
I have to say I hate fucking Swindon. Blake, my first grandson, was born in Swindon hospital a few weeks back - he is a healthy and lovely little baby, full of smiles.

I dropped Ash off to the hospital in a midnight run, so he could be with Mazz for the birth. Junction 15 was shut due to roadworks, but I got Ash there in time (somehow). Desperate for a pee I tried to make my way back to the motorway, however the satnav kept bringing back to the closed junction and past the hospital again. Like a piss poor and unfunny groundhog day. I seriously considered sleeping in the car in Swindon and waiting till the morning, but finally made my way to Junction 16, after driving around Swindon about 7 or 8 times at 3am. That was an odd experience, it was like one of those fog horror movies. Also I cannot stand the magic roundabout, even at 3am!!!!! Finally got out, and made it to Membury services for a most excellent stop, before driving home.

Enough of a rant about fucking Swindon, it sucks with knobs on!  Enjoyed the tune though, witty and funny and full of character as always :-)
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600