Girl On A Morning Train

Started by Ray Brookes, July 06, 2021, 12:57:19 AM

Ray Brookes

girl on a morning train
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Heading home early one morning after an all-night session in the studio I sat on a commuter train and observed one of the passengers on her way to work ....

Her skin almost translucent
Blond hair and scent of flowers
Faded blue jeans and bangles
Swirling patterns on her blouse
Strokes her phone nonchalantly
Twists her hair in a wistful curl
But me I'm just invisible
To the 21st century girl
On the morning train

Eyes a chestnut brown
Nails painted gothic black
Dreams of mink and sable coats
But carries a plastic anorak
A ring on every finger and thumb
A bracelet of mother of pearl
And I peek surreptitiously
At this 21st century girl.
On the morning train

The here and now orientation
Her precious time of the essence
And I as awkward as a mule
In the aura of her presence
The train now slowing; she now standing
I remain in my own weathered world
Twist my neck to watch her disappear for good
That 21st century girl.
Who was on the morning train
Ray Brookes

tonyc

brilliant piece of work ray , you painted the picture in my mind , and its still there , loved it great vocals harp and guitar work , superb song .....cheers tony cee.
recorder
Zoom HD16

StephenM

there was a movie I watched called "Girl On a Train" (I believe it was)....anyway it was about a woman who rode the train daily and would look out the window as she traveled and think about the lives of the people she saw...then she was caught up in a crime as a witness....excellent movie...

I often think about people I see in public, what their lives might be like, what they are like...

another beautiful song Ray....indeed we notice don't we?  How beautiful people are or at least can be...not just looks wise...but personality and spirit...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

hardlock

Love how you transcend for what seems like the end of the chorus to "On the morning train" - makes me think "oh yeah, NOW it's complete!" Very interesting and a complete masterful piece of music! Well done Ray!
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Hilary

Always a treat to listen to one of your songs, thanks Ray!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

TPB

Me I always love a song that tells a story and this one has laid down a painting in my mind excellent song
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

maxit

I like the song, and the line But me I'm just invisible To the 21st century girl is just, ok that's it! that's how it feels ... great song!
recorder
Audacity

Greeny

Totally captivating. The lyric is superb just in word form, but the combination of those words with the sublime fingerpicking and your beautiful storytelling vocal is something very special. Beautifully imagined, played and produced. I'm constantly blown away by what you do.

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

Another really great song ray, I always love the lyrics you write and way you tell a story in a song.
What can I add that the others haven't already..not a lot. Just a brilliant song. Great music and vocals. I think we've all observed strangers like this and wondered about them..and feeling invisible too sometimes to them.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Jean Pierre

but how do you produce so many good compositions?
musically I love the harmonic construction of the instrumental bridge
the story is charming and this girl met in a morning train and of which one falls slightly in love reminds me a very beautiful poem of Antoine Pol (Les passantes) and a beautiful setting in music of Georges Brassens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhgFxiVmONs

I am glad that this girl of the XXIst century such as you describe her does not carry horrible and exuberant tattoos :)

PS and Greeny said
Quotewith the sublime fingerpicking
...I would love to know how you constructed and recorded this splendid accompaniment, dear Ray
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo