Re-chargable batteries

Started by gthreeman, June 03, 2009, 09:31:14 AM

gthreeman

I'm just wondering if anyone using the BR600 has any experience with re-chargable batteries.  In the micro br discussions there are a few topics on re-chargable batteries with good advice, but I'm wondering what kinds of experiences or tips all of you in the BR600 community might have on this topic. Thanks.

64Guitars

I have a BR-864 and I don't use batteries, so I can't give you any advice based on experience. However, I can tell you that page 24 of the BR-600 manual says "Do not use rechargeable batteries". They don't say why you shouldn't use rechargeables, but I think it might be due to the lower voltage. Rechargeable AA batteries are typically only 1.2 volts each versus 1.5 volts for regular alkaline batteries. Since the BR-600 takes 6 batteries, that's a total of only 7.2 volts instead of the required 9 volts. It might still work, but perhaps not for long.

Hopefully, some BR-600 users will tell us about their actual experience with rechargeable batteries.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

gthreeman

Thanks 64Guitars....I didn't think there'd be many users out there using rechargables,.... just wanted to throw that question out there to see if someone had any success with a re-chargable.  The user manual does say "not" to use re-chargables, but with technology these days I thought maybe there was a re-chargable battery maker out there that could meet the BR600 requirements.  Thanks for the quick response.  I think I'll just stick to the adapter and regular batteries.

FWIW, I have used rechargables in the BR-600 and got about 3.5 hours of use from them.  I just got the unit today, so I don't have long term experience using them.

I suspect that the reason they warn against using them may be that the unit won't stay working very long after it warns you that the batteries are near death.  Since songs are saved pretty often I don't know that this would be a big issue.

Here is the type I use: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch_v3.asp?px=FO&scriteria=AA82069

I don't endorse that merchant.  They were just the first google image result that I found.

Oh, the BR-600 is awesome, by the way :)

Groundy

I have used re-Chargable Batteries for a year now, with no problem but I have a mbr, not 600.   Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

guitarron

i dont use them in the 600 -it's not recomended-there is a thread here that goes into the 600 and rechargables
in the mbr i do

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Red62

I use rechargeables in my BR-600.  I use Energizer 2000mAh rechargeables and have been for over a year with no problems.  Certainly no problems with recording.....

hope that helps