Lost Along the Way - Piano & Guitar jam

Started by hardlock, March 26, 2021, 08:21:29 PM

hardlock

Lost along the way
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Okay, here's something totally different that I'm using as an idea Place-holder. Thought I'd share it due to the potential controversial nature and get some feedback as to if it's worth pursuing or not.

The piano part was jammed with no regard to timing. Added the guitar over it still not considering timing. "Rubato" if you will I guess.  I have the parts re-recorded to the clock but to my dismay, it loses lots of feeling in the transition.

The name was the easy part.  ::)

Would love to get comments anywhere from "it's crap - don't post these" to "interesting....don't like it but there's something going on there..."

The timed version could end up a collab maybe, we'll see.  Thanks for the listen!
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Ferryman

Wow, free form jaaaazzz!

Seriously though, it's lovely. I had this playing in the background before I read your write up and I would have had no idea about the "timing issues" until I read how you had done the track. Now someone with a better musical training than me might notice something but I thought this was a lovely instrumental piece. I noticed one part where the guitar drifted a little from the piano, but that was after I had read how you did this. But even that is serendipitous. I just listened again and there is a wonderful run on the guitar at about 1:43 that fits perfectly with the piano, which shows you have a great intuitive feel here.

The piano work and guitar playing are both quite lovely, the guitar has a delightful sound and feel and it's a really nice instrumental piece. You can definitely do more like this!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

thetworegs

I agree with everything Nigel said good one Ken

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

tonyc

like it ken great guitar work and piano , sounds like it could be a brill song ........cheers tony cee
recorder
Zoom HD16

Farrell Jackson

Nothing wrong with this at all Ken....it sounds right as rain to my ears. I hear a few tiny missed timings between the piano and guitar but that doesn't take away from the coolness. That gives it a live feel...well done!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

StephenM

well, I'll just download it before it gets deleted then...ha...

I hear lots of good things... I listen to many blue grass and local musicians... live...and to be honest I have played with more than a few who have very different senses of timing...

I don't think there is one right way to do music...although there is an accepted "language" of music that is pretty much universal... just like say english...

and then there is slang.... and slang is valid language if people use it, and they do....  so "slang" music is valid...  I don't hear bad timing..the tuning maybe a little "off" but it doesn't bother me and I am not sure exactly anyway...

nice piece... and if everything always sounds perfect than perfect is just average so all the great musicians can be thankful for folks like me...lol

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Nelson

Personally I love it. It's breezy and cool.
I can imagine a piece like this losing its magic when done in perfect timing.
Did you try doing the piano to the clock and taking another improvisational swing at the guitar?

I like were it's headed.

recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

Ray Brookes

That guitar sounds so sweet tonally and lovely playing, Ken. Timing issues? Tuning issues? So what? It's the feel that counts and this feels just nice.
Ray Brookes

Mike_S

Sweet track Ken. I'm with Nelson on this. If you were to put this down to a perfectly timed (computer generated) drum track I think you would indeed lose some of the magic. As it is, it lives and breathes in a totally organic way. That's what makes humans so much better than machines at producing music. A real drummer with a nice loose feel might be able to play along to this (drumbum on this site might do a great job I think). Your jazzy, free style of playing reminds me a little of funkyaxe (also on this site). Super job Ken.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

hardlock

Thanks all for the great comments! I have an idea for a complete song with these chords so maybe could use this or part of it for an intro or such. Don't think I'll change it or add anything to it now considering the consensus here. Being a drummer, I'm used to striving for millisecond accuracy so I couldn't help but question it's worth.  ::)
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure