Somebody Save Me

Started by Ray Brookes, March 07, 2021, 02:20:26 PM

Ray Brookes

somebody save me
Time:
0:00
Volume:
A song about ... well ... nothing really - just a few random observations about life in general.

I visited your Facebook page
The 'me generation' dot com.
Your witty insights are mere mosquito bites
But your attitude is the swamp
Me I'm up near the border
Where sugar cane scents the air
And toothless small talk passes slowly
Between ancient rocking chairs.

A corpulent man; a corporate man
His long awaited hour
Sharp as a knife but his trophy wife
As sharp as a bag of flour
Rise meteoric, schoolboy rhetoric
Yelling out what they all wanna hear
Machiavellian; politically smelly 'an
Readying another career smear.

Somebody save me
Somebody get me the hell outa here!

I woke up in the subway
Where life often stalls
Like tomcats marking territory
Teenagers were paint-spraying walls
And the ambulance chasers bide their time
Playing blackjack on your front steps
While hidden in a burka, ready now to serve ya
Your bag-man with a fist-full of debts.

Somebody save me
Somebody get me the hell outa here!
Ray Brookes

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

Ray this is fantastic mate, the way you write lyrics and weave them into a story...well I wish I could write like that lol. Great observations of life in the song, great vocals and the jazz style music is really laid back and cool. Love it. :)
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

thetworegs

Excellent lyriic and peer Forman experience as always Ray really just echoing what DT says good one

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Kenneth

This is great Ray. The singing is so perfect, just love the ," somebody save me" line.

There's some good tunes coming out of this site lately.
Nicely done.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

BerryPatch

Great song. Love the layed back acoustic part along with the mellow drums and creamy slide (That slide sound is perfection). Songwriting wise, it reminds me a bit of Mark Knophler. Excellent.

SE

This cool stuff from the production, to the songwriting threw to the performance, just so impressed, big respect, loved the listen!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

StephenM

cool lyrical imagery and exactly why i am so glad I live out in the country...it's so nice to be around woods and meadows and grass....another great song Ray....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Jean Pierre

another production so subtle in both lyrics and music. Congratulations my friend, I look forward to a new collaboration with you soon...
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Greeny

An exceptionally cool, acerbic and thoughtful lyric. I love the conversational, observational feel of it all. The hint of weariness in your voice being confronted by it all. And musically it's faultless as always. Pro-level production and everything in exactly the right place.

Fantastic!

Ferryman_1957

I too am loving the lyric, there are some superb images and stunning use of words in there. The phrase "A corpulent man; a corporate man" is really clever and reminded me of so many that I've worked with over the years, while "Machiavellian; politically smelly 'an" is another brilliant example. Really, really good writing.

The music is great, like Tim says kind of world weary and philosophical. It's all very cleverly done and comes together with the lyrics ande vocals superbly.

Top class stuff, absolutely top class.