soundclips of my amp that I found in the trash.

Started by shiggity, June 01, 2009, 01:30:40 PM

Ferryman

Nice stuff and what a find. Great soulful playing, very effective with the simple backing.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Sprocket

Quote from: shiggity on June 01, 2009, 08:23:34 PMSprocket, they were only made from 69-72 from what I have found. What I was trying to figure out is if they did in fact update the electronics, why not the power cord? I am in CT by the way, so I am with ya. It did break up nice with the orig 7025 in it but doesnt seem to break up as well with the NOS RCA 12ax7 I put in her, but it sounds so dang nice like it is so I think I will keep it that way and i do have a monster boutique pedal board that I have sdpent years perfecting and this amp loves everyone of them. so cool.

Yeah, this amp seems to be a mystery huh?
So the power cord wasnt replaced? I noticed it has a really big black cap inside that looks oem...its the one laying down in the front on the bottom...I betcha thats your "death cap" and it does the samething as the chord, kinda. All the other caps look to have been replaced...they wouldnt have used Orange Drops as OEM.

I really like Tube Depot...you cant really ask for a better service or prices. I goto them first. Im not really familiar with the 7025 tube to comment on the breakup with or without...but Id think it was a higher gain preamp tube than a 12ax7 if the 12ax7 breaks up less.
As far as your crackling...try putting some electronics lube on the end your input plug and insert it repeatedly in all 3 jacks...or even use a q-tip with some on it and try and clean up the contacts on the jacks. Id try this first before buying new tubes...although I am always anxious to try new/different tubes in all my amps, just trying to save you some extra cash.

shiggity

Yeah sprocket I'm the same way. My father in law was a Hammond freak and actually worked for Goff professional (Hammond dealer to some of the bigs, Phish, Allman Bros and more) for awhile before he passed away. He was also a pack rat and I inherited his tube collection, Old Mullards, RCA's, Amperex, Telefunken. So I have tubes at my disposal. All but the Rectumfire (sounds painful :p ) Which I have already ordered from the Tube depot. I love that site. Actually heading over there to see of they sell a grounded power cable, wish I thought of that yesterday, DOH!

7025's are a higher gain 12ax7. Used alot in the old Twin's. Which I also have... Giggity. I actually have a vintage amp collection now 2 of which were more or less free. How the hell did that happen??  The silvertone which you know the story of, a '69 Super Reverb that I barter'd a deal for my 24 channel mackie and my main amp a '72 Twin which I got for a measly $450....giggity.

As far as the lube, I'll try it but I think the issue is in the power cable. I get the same crackle whenever I ground myself on the bridge,strings etc.

So... with the ground, do you just ground it to the chassis?

shiggity

update, I replaced the rectifier and the crackling is now gone, YAAAAA!!!

Now I just have to remove the death cap and replace the cable.

Bro

Congratulations on finding that amp! It sounds awesome!

(Why does this never happen to me?!! :()

Great jam btw
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Sprocket

Quote from: shiggity on June 09, 2009, 12:21:14 PMupdate, I replaced the rectifier and the crackling is now gone, YAAAAA!!!

Now I just have to remove the death cap and replace the cable.

Wow, I just came acrossed your response.
Im always stoked when a tube fixes an amp...thats like an oil change fixing your car, thats so awesome.

I dont know how to recommend replacing the death cap or cable...but if its a single ended amp, you might try http://www.sewatt.com/ for helpful advice and instruction before attempting so.