Micro BR freezes on startup

Started by RGX, June 01, 2009, 01:14:43 PM

Oldrottenhead

QuoteMy conclusion: Beer fixes BOSS products.
i have known that for a long time. should have mentioned it earlier in this thread but i was drunk.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Sprocket

Quote from: 64Guitars on June 01, 2009, 11:34:38 PM
Quote from: Sprocket on June 01, 2009, 10:06:34 PMAnd secondly, 68, Ive read a couple of your posts that suggest taking the Micro BR apart. I would strongly urge you to stop recommending that and instead suggest they goto Roland for support.

I usually only suggest taking a BR apart if it's out of warranty, the owner doesn't want to pay for expensive repair work, and the repair is potentially simple (broken switch, connector, etc). And I usually add a caution that users who aren't handy with this sort of thing should send it to Roland instead. But paying for repair work can be quite expensive. With an inexpensive unit like the Micro BR, it might be more practical to buy a new one. And some users might not want to be without their BR for several weeks while Roland repairs it if the problem is something simple that they can fix themselves.

QuoteAs I had an out of warranty unit replaced free of charge, no questions asked...Im not even the original purchaser, I even told the service rep that, I was willing to pay to have mine serviced.

I think you got lucky. I very much doubt that Roland does all repairs for free! Still, there's no harm in calling Roland Customer Service and asking for the repair cost. If they say it's free, that's great! But I don't think it should be expected if the unit's out of warranty.

I have nothing against Roland's service department. If a user is prepared to pay a potentially high repair bill, then having Roland do the repair is probably the best bet. But if you tell people that Roland will replace their out-of-warranty recorder for free and they get a big bill instead, they won't thank you.

Also, this community is international and Roland's policies and procedures may be quite different in other countries.

Were both only making assumptions.

But the facts are Roland charges $75 an hour and bill in 15 minute increments.
That is the going labor rate for just about any and all services here in the US, so its not overly "expensive".

In this gentlemans case, lets say he needed a switch...okay, hes got it apart...now what? Where do we send him to buy a replacement micro switch? Will any switch do?

A Roland trained expert should be able to replace a micro switch on a PCB in less than 1/2 hour...I dont seem to think that would cost very much. AND they are supposed to call you before the repair is done to give you a quote...so no surprises.
In my case the repair was going to cost more than the items worth, and that was Roland's reason for replacing it "under warranty".
Its an assumption on my part, but having worked in the service industry for sometime...tamper/tool marks are a deal breaker.

I dont think its socially responsible to say that Roland will replace each and every BR under warranty, but I think its more responsible to suggest calling Roland FIRST, if they cant help(over the phone) send it in...its only 2-3 weeks(do something else).
I know I was pleasantly surprised with Roland service, I havent read many topics/replies/responses...so to the best of my knowledge Roland customer service is batting 1000, whos to say otherwise?(there arent many topics about Roland CS)

All Im saying/suggesting to you is: recommend they call Roland first...and lets see some customer service reviews before suggesting ANYBODY take one of these apart.
You make an excellent point about this being a worldwide forum and Roland being a worldwide company...so there has got to be one near by almost everyone of our worldwide subscribers, give Roland a chance.