The Blue & Grey

Started by Pine, January 20, 2021, 06:12:00 PM

Pine

Hey thanks guys for all the listens and comments. Certainly no fancy playing on this..it was all about telling the story..but after reading all the comments, i think that perhaps the arrangement  was a bit too cheerful. Should have tried to work in some minor chords i guess. The Civil War was indeed America's darkest hour...and after the events of 2 weeks ago on Capitol Hill, i was wondering if i should write another and call it the Blue & Red...  The carnage of that war 160 years ago was in part the terrible mix of updated, more modern weaponry and the use of old school military formations. "OK men, lets form a line and walk across this open field toward the enemy ranks and start shooting!" WTF were they thinking! You never saw the Native Americans do that...
   Anyway, thanks again for the comments and feedback. Americana story telling songs have always caught my ear and heavily influenced my writing.   Pine
recorder
Boss BR-1200

pjd1

Dont know a lot about the civil war in america , but i do know there was one , i had no idea there was that awful amount of deaths involved in the conflict , i must read or watch the program and get educated , hope you are well Pine , your music is certainly alive and well and very good to the ear , great story and i look fwd to finding out more about the war , as usual a first class recording and vocal , timing and music is of the highest quality and a fine composition from you good self , History lesson and a song brilliant

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

SE

Well done, love some country, your  guitars and lyrics  are cool  loved the listen!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

Mike_S

This is great. The sounds you are getting really conjure up those times gone by perfectly. Great vocal too, really enjoyed it.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

Fantastic song....sad, compelling, riveting songcrafting......like classic Band song as Greeny aludes to ....

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

TPB

Great composition about a dark time all good songs tell a story and this one has accomplished this well done brother
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

StephenM

hard to believe it's been about a year Pine.  Hope you are doing well and happy New Year.  I was reading your last comments about the formations....neither did we (as in the ones who were forming "America") fight that way in the Revolutionary war.... it was largely hit and run tactics somewhat like the more native folks would do...but I only heard that in stories and movies...
good song.... and I don't think it needed a sadder musical countenance....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

tonyc

fantastic song mixed really well , superb vocal and songwriting , loved it ....cheers tony cee
recorder
Zoom HD16

Groundy

I do t know how ihave missed this for so long, butglad i fou d it today.
Really well done my friend, great number and really well performed
Take a bow...... Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Pine

Thanks Alex.. a bit disappointing that i was only able to write one tune this year but guess it's better then none. Thanks for the L&C. Hope you are well old friend.

Thanks Tony...i was happy with the song but initially intended it to be more bluegrass than country. Considerably higher BPM's. Can't play that fast anymore. Too much rust and arthritis. It is what it is. It was the lyrics that mattered most to me.

Stephen...The military tactics of the Revolutionary War and the Civil War were similar in many ways, altho the weaponry became much more deadly. The terrain in which battles took place had a lot to do with tactics. "Skirmish Lines" were often used with smaller engagements and environmental opportunities were utilized, as you say. Large forces often engaged in the wide open... a blood bath for all.   Sadly, your timeline observation regarding this song is extremely accurate. It was almost a year ago. I haven't played more than a few hours since. My hearing has nosedived and Life has taken me on other paths. I admire your involvement here and your ever enthusiastic and supportive comments on the posts of so many others. Keep up the good work.
recorder
Boss BR-1200