Main Menu

January Moon

Started by Johnny McAleer, January 19, 2021, 04:58:50 AM

Johnny McAleer

JANUARY MOON 2021
Time:
0:00
Volume:

Little bit of background to the inspiration for this gentle instrumental. The full Moon names used by The Old Farmer's Almanac come from a number of places, including Native American, Colonial American, and European sources. Traditionally, each full Moon name was applied to the entire lunar month in which it occurred, not just to the full Moon itself.

THE JANUARY FULL MOON is often known as the Wolf Moon. It's thought to be the case because wolves were more often heard howling at this time. It was traditionally believed that wolves howled due to hunger during winter, but we know today of course that wolves howl for many reasons. Howling and other wolf vocalizations are generally used to define territory, locate pack members, reinforce social bonds, and coordinate hunting.

We don't hear many wolves in our neck of the woods but maybe some of the neighbourhood pooches will be out in force that night. Hoping for a clear sky to see this on 28th January - well anything's possible nowadays, I guess!

"Take music, family and friends: stir gently and serve chilled" - J Mc

hooper

I enjoyed that. Very nicely made and played!
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
These days I merely dabble at being old and wise.
But I swear, I used to absolutely excel at being young and stupid.

Farrell Jackson

A very soothing soundscape Johnny. You've done some fine layering of instruments that compliment each other. Thanks for the interesting background information on the January/Wolf Moon. Nicely done!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

TPB

Very Cool I lived off grid for 8 years in the great white north and heard wolves howling most night, now I live in the south no wolfs but get to hear coyotes every night. The history and story really help setup the song mood
Like it
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Ray Brookes

Nice back-story about the wolves and a lovely soft instrumental, Johnny.
Ray Brookes

Pine

A peaceful song for a (usually) peaceful time of year. I found it rather cheerful, like enjoying the explosion of stars on those cold, silent January nights. Nice keyboard work Johnny.
recorder
Boss BR-1200

StephenM

fitting because as the band Kansas once stated in a song off their 4th album "Rockin and a rollin, is only howling at the moon."  So I would suppose that SC often could fit that...
I like the soft wind instrument sounds... almost don't notice the acoustic guitar...thanks for the story too....nice instrumental Johnny

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

hardlock

Great mood maker. Nice ebb and flow going there. Really like when the recurring melody harmonizes with the other instruments! Fine song.
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Greeny

A beautiful instrumental - lovely overlapping melody lines and atmosphere. My dog howls at harmonicas and bagpipes - I guess they all still have a bit of wolf in them, lol.

kenny mac

Nice instrumental.
I love the acoustic sound.
I also get a 60s vibe from it.
A great chilled out instrumental.
Great stuff.