Wanted Man Blues

Started by Ray Brookes, January 06, 2021, 01:49:54 PM

Mike_S

Yeah Ray this is fab. So well done. I am guessing/hoping you are a regular gigging musician as this type of playing is designed for live performance I think. So cool the harmonica, such an underrated instrument and what can you say about that fretless bass playing. Super stuff.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

Ray, I feel so priveleged to hear your music...man it's so good...this one had me tapping my toe right from the start.... around here there are alot of stand up bass guitars...I actually played one once... and they are fretless... took me a bit to kind of get going and I realized you have to have callouses on your right hand for that...plus a dang trailer to haul it around...  I would imagine that once you get used to fretless...you probably wouldn't want to go back...
great song...lyrics, singing and music.... kudos!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Farrell Jackson

I'm always blown away by your talent Ray but this song really highlights your musical skills! The harp, the fretless bass, the guitar, the vocal, the production and everything else is over the top fantastic!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

pjd1

Amazing guitar work and you can sure play that Fretless bass alright , fabulous vocals and production , just listening to your bass solo as the song plays , and then the harmonica solo , cool as you like Ray loved every note on every instrument . Incredible Stuff

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Ted

Tons of fun! I too have a fretless bass guitar that is also 5-string and acoustic. So for your first foray on your new toy, this was amazing.

Over on Scott's Bass Lessons, they listed among the reasons fretless basses suck is that people overuse sliding into every note, and putting vibrato on every note – the exact reasons I wanted a fretless in the first place! (I actually paid for one of those courses, and it was really good. One of the best tips from the course was to have a tuner mounted on the head when practicing. Play a bit. It sounds right to me. Hold a note and the check the tuner to see if my ear and intonation are correct.)

Enough about the bass. Everything else here is top-notch too. But it's your vocals that steal the show here!

I know, I know... I was just flattering you on your most recent Frogs and Faith song, and it seems like just before that I gave you a grudging compliment on Pick a Bale of Cotton ("grudging" because you made me love a song I never wanted to love).

I swear I'm not stalking you. This was literally the only song posted the 6 January, 2021 – and that's the week I'm bumping today.

Blackout Bump - week of 6 January, 2021
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac