Jamming out with my bad self

Started by WarpCanada, January 04, 2021, 12:56:49 AM

WarpCanada

Jamming with my Bad Self Feb 9 2020
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This one is from February 2020 before I discovered the awesome community here at Songcrafters.

The keys parts that sound basically live-played (no quantization) are, the drums, and guitar are arpeggios set up on Cubase Groove Agent, and Halion Sonic SE, the bass is a real live bass guitar part.  Delicious canned drums. Yum.

Other than the drums which are canned, the rest of it is me performing on my Korg TR88, my main workstation.   The guitar patches sound completely unlike me playing an actual guitar, the patch sounds to me like a very nice (but rather unorganic) Fender Strat, and while I wish I could bash my guitar and make it sound like the jam below, I just can't do it.  On keys, I'm playing block chords here, and the synth arpeggiator is doing the rapid guitar riffs.

I do think my bass playing is on point in this jam, though, considering I only started playing bass about one month before I made this jam track.

This melody is (if I do say so) pretty good and I think I will write lyrics for this in 2021.

originally posted here:
https://soundcloud.com/warren-postma/feb-9-jam

Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

StephenM

I like this very much Warren.... I dig electronic music... and it requires a good bit of brain power to pull it all off... you are kind of a best of both worlds kind of guy...you like playing instruments and you like the AI..... btw...the keyboard stuff you are playing I really like alot.... there is hope for the future as far as kids actually still playing instruments.... my 15 year old is starting to figure out how wonderful a guitar can be... and he has dabbled already in computer based music on Cakewalk....so I am hoping he will go the path of both...and my daughter is totally into playing various instruments with piano, theory, level lessons etc...and choir...by a director who is absolutely top notch.... the HS choir she is part of is exceptional.... because the director is exceptional... and she gets the kids really into it... music in any form is such a great thing.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Farrell Jackson

This has a very uplifting sound Warren. I like how the keys sound in there and the chords are excellent. I look forward to hearing it again when you put vocals to it. Nicely done!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Ray Brookes

Very nicely constructed instrumental, Warren. Lovely synth sounds and a cool driving beat. Great production/mix too and the bass playing is spot on BTW.
Ray Brookes

Redler

Fine instrumental song! Everything has put well together. Thanks for the info of the recording, too.
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Kenneth

Good post!
It has a lightness to it, summer tune.
Im glad you didnt use quantization... I personally like it to sound more human than perfect!
Nice work!
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Mike_S

Very good Warren, very creative. It is very uplifting, I love instrumental music so it's great as it is, but yes interested to how a vocal would sit on this. Nice stuff.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

You could put a Steve Perry like vocal over this and it would be a world wide hit, great job in putting this all together

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand