Bring Home The Erin

Started by Bluesberry, January 02, 2021, 11:46:02 AM

Bluesberry

Bring Home the Iron Mp3
Time:
0:00
Volume:
My brother come over at Christmas for a visit. After supper the guitars came out. Turns out he has been writing songs since the pandemic started, he only ever played covers before. So we jammed out to his original tunes, and recorded a few of them using a Zoom hand recorder sitting in the middle of the kitchen table. My brother Paul is on the funky chunky rhythm acoustic and singing, I am on the lead acoustic fiddling about, my son Keith is on bass. The next day we put it in to the BR-1200 for finishing and Keith decided to add the organ, which was a great choice.

Ignore the name on the file, I thought he was singing "bring home the iron" a song about a ship bringing iron ore into Saint John Port...he was actually singing "bring home the Erin" which is an alusion to the Irish immigrants comming to Saint John, New Brunswick all those years ago. This is why we are refered to as the most Irish city in Canada due to the massive influx of Irish. It is a big part of the character of our city for sure.

This is his original song, banged out around the kitchen table after the dishes were cleared. I hope you enjoy. It is a banger of a song he has written.

Paul Berry-lyrics, vocals, rhythm guitar
Dave Berry-Lead noodling guitar
Keith Berry-Bass, organ, backing vocals, production duties.

Dave

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ray Brookes

I love these kinda atmospheric folk songs. A million tales have come out Ireland and this song typifies the era when so many people of the Emerald Isle were virtually forced to leave their traditional homes to seek a new life. I could imagine this song being sang in an Irish bar complete with a bodhran drum and Uillean pipes (and a pint of Guinness of course)
Ray Brookes

launched

Wow I'm loving everything about this tune, the core live recording is great with massive openness. This is a true musical family. You obviously kill it with awesome licks everywhere and your brother wrote the good groove and has authentic vocal vibes that fit the song perfectly. Obviously my fave is Keith's melodic and lick ridden bass, and the overdubs & mixing propelled this tune into the stratosphere!

You guys are amazing!!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Mike_S

It sure is brilliant Dave. You are really lucky to be able to make such a quality track with only members of your own family, how cool that must be. This is top drawer songwriting and playing. The song gives a rich sense of history somehow, you can feel the immigrants journey in the atmosphere. Quality.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Hilary

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Flash Harry

Great to hear from you again Dave, and with your brother and young 'un, this is a fab song, a real mover and you're right about it being a banger.

It must have been great to get together and play this, I love it.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

StephenM

how do I say this?  f u c l i n g     A!  I caught the Irish vibe right away.... either way,,,,the ERin or the iron....its great....the music is fantastic.....my kind of jammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
do this again!!!!  glad to hear you playing again!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Farrell Jackson

This is great Dave! It's an excellent Irish folk song but the idea of this being you, your bother and son just jamming around the kitchen table and getting it recorded makes it real special. You really did bring it home on this song. I'm envious because I also have a musical family but we've not recorded a thing together...yet. Some cool lead guitar noodling Dave. The bass your son is playing reminds me of Jethro Tull's original bass players style. Well done Berry family!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Redler

Great job by all of you! Catchy Irish vibe folk song with top class production, too. Nice to hear from you!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Thanks for all the great comments. I feels good to get something posted on here again and get back into participating in this great site of ours. I sent over all the comments to my brother and he was positively pumped, really made his day. He is all bursting to come over and try to work out some more of his original material. My son Keith really did a fantastic job on bass and he enjoyed seeing comments to that effect. I feel positively pumped myself and want to get back to recording some of my own stuff again, blow the rust off my fingers and brain. Thank you all, for being part of this site...long live songcrafters...

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand